De Niro speaks out against strike

de_nero.jpgFilm star Robert De Niro has warned Hollywood actors against taking
strike action over negotiating a new contract with studio bosses.

"I do not think it is a good time to be striking," said the 64-year-old
actor, adding the issues "could be resolved" in years to come.

De Niro was speaking at the Karlovy Vary Film Festival in the Czech Republic, where he won a career award.

The Screen Actors Guild is expected to respond to a new offer on Monday.

Concerns

The Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers (AMPTP)
came up with a three-year deal responding to actors’ concerns about
being paid for work appearing on new media.

But the SAG initially said that the offer did not look promising.

Negotiations to thrash out a new contract are ongoing after the last one expired last week.

De Niro added that the general climate is not right for industrial action.

"All the trade unions are affected by the strike," he said.
"With the economy as it is at this time, it does not seem to be a great
idea."

The actor was presented with the Crystal Globe for his contribution to cinema at the film festival on Friday night.

Christopher Lee and Danny Glover will also be awarded at the event, which continues in the spa town until 12 July.