An English teenager is lucky to be alive after suffering three cardiac arrests following a night of drinking.
Jayde Dinsdale, 18, drank 10 Jagerbombs — a cocktail made from Red Bull energy drink and Jagermeister spirit — as part of a two-for-one drink special at a local club in Yeovil, Somerset, on Jan. 31, according to the Daily Mirror. The next morning, she collapsed on her bathroom floor.
“The doctors told me it was all to do with the energy drinks,” Dinsdale told the newspaper. “Now I’m looking at how much caffeine is in these drinks and I just can’t believe they are on sale.”
A can of Red Bull contains about as much caffeine as a cup of coffee, according to the company’s website. Dinsdale surmised that each cocktail contained about half a can of the energy drink.
The Independent reports:
As she became sober, the caffeine caused her heart rate to accelerate to a dangerous level and she went into cardiac arrest… She spent three weeks in hospital, where she was fitted with an implantable cardioverter defibrillator (ICD) designed to shock her heart if it stops.
Dinsdale’s father performed CPR on her, which appeared to stabilize the young woman until she “had another fit,” her mother told the Mirror.
“Jayde’s pulse was very faint and she started to go purple. She was dead on the bathroom floor. It’s a miracle that she is still with us,” Natalie Dinsdale told the newspaper.
Doctors induced a coma to protect Jayde’s heart and brain. After almost a month of hospitalization, she is back home and on her way to getting better. Her Facebook profile shows the scar from her defibrillator implant.
Caffeine toxicity from energy drinks has been blamed for deaths before, although manufacturers have disputed such claims.
In 2013, a New Zealand coroner’s court found that a woman died because of her dependency on Coca-Cola. According to Television New Zealand, the 31-year-old’s Coke habit meant she consumed the equivalent of two pounds of sugar and 970 milligrams of caffeine per day.