Home / Africa / Nigeria anger over ‘Islamist attack’

Nigeria anger over ‘Islamist attack’








Nigerian soldiers patrol in Nigeria (file photo)North-eastern Nigeria is under emergency rule, but attacks have intensified

A Nigerian senator has expressed outrage over the security forces’ failure to prevent a second deadly attack on a town by Islamist militants.

Gunmen believed to be from the Boko Haram group killed several residents and burnt down Izghe over the weekend.

A week earlier, 106 people were killed in a Boko Haram raid on Izghe.

Borno state Senator Ali Ndume told the BBC it was clear that a state of emergency imposed by the government to end the insurgency was not working.

More than 500 people had been killed in Borno in the last two months, he said.


‘Burnt everything’

President Goodluck Jonathan declared a state of emergency in three north-eastern states – Borno, Yobe and Adamawa – last year, giving the security forces extra-ordinary powers to fight Boko Haram.


Map of Nigeria

However, soldiers were in a “pathetic situation”, and there was no sign of the army having taken extra-ordinary measures to end the violence, Mr Ndume said.

“The Nigerian army can deploy more troops, more equipment and be more committed to the execution of this emergency rule,” he told the BBC.

The army had failed to deploy troops to Izghe after the first attack, opening the way for Boko Haram to re-enter the town, Mr Ndume said.

Many people had fled after the first attack, but some elderly residents were still staying there.

A resident in Izghe told the BBC that three women and a man were killed in the raid.

“They [Boko Haram gunmen] came to the to the town and burnt everything. They burnt all the houses,” he said, on condition of anonymity.

The government has repeatedly said it is winning the war against the militants, who are fighting to establish a strict Islamic state across northern Nigeria.

Boko Haram has killed thousands, including many Muslims and Christians, since it began its uprising in 2009.


Residents stand in front of destroyed properties and houses following an attack in Kawuri, January 28, 2014. The attackers often have time to destroy whole villages before retreating

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>