Tunisia: Ruling Troika Rejects Opposition Parties’ Proposals and Abassi Calls for Concessions
Tunis — Ettakatol politburo member Mouldi Riahi said, on Sunday, that the proposals presented by the opposition to come out of the crisis had been rejected by the ruling three-party alliance representatives.
In a statement to the media at the end of a meeting held, on Sunday morning, between the four organisations sponsoring dialogue — the Tunisian General Labour Union (UGTT), The Tunisian Industry, Trade and handicrafts Union (UTICA), the Tunisian Human Rights League (LTDH) and the National Bar Association –and representatives of the alliance, Mr. Riahi specified that the door to dialogue remains open.
All the protagonists should gather around the same table as soon as possible, he stressed.
For his part, (UGTT) Secretary-General Hassine Abassi said that the ruling Troika had not accepted the opposition parties’ proposals, refusing to give any detail on the content of these proposals and the nature of the objections made by the Troika.
Mr. pointed out that the meeting of the Troika scheduled for Sunday afternoon and resumption of the meeting between the sponsors of dialogue and the Troika announced for Monday afternoon could lead to a clear answer to the opposition’s proposals.
He called the two sides to make further concessions, however painful they may be.
The Troika delegation includes notably Sahbi Atig, Abdellatif Mekki (Ennahdha), Imed Daimi (CPR) and Mouldi Riahi (Ettakatol).