“The youth of today are the leaders of tomorrow”, says a lot of people. Let me re-phrase that for you. “A particular section of the youth today are sure leaders of tomorrow”. Now this is less “beating around the bush”, and more talking to the point. Why am I saying this? Oh well, I’ll be very honest and straight-forward. A majority of the youth today are spoilt. Useless habits like smoking, drinking, drug-addiction have gutted their once upon a time pretty lives. It’s sad, but true. The 21st century youth have fallen into several bad habits, some of the most prominent and disturbing ones are here, right now as you read on!
10. Peer pressurising: This bad habit is commonly seen in youth that spend time with each other. Many a times, youths prefer to sit in groups and chit chat over things that might not even matter. They prefer doing it over a cigarette or probably some whiskey or beer. Now, if a few friends don’t fall into these bad habits, they are often forced or encouraged by the other friends to get into probably trying a cigarette or some weed. Peer pressure amongst youths is fast growing in today’s scenario. Many people do certain things just because their best buddy does it too. The fact that many youth don’t keep their heads on their shoulders is extremely sad, and with this continuity, there seems to be no end.
9. Junk food: An outrageous number of youths today prefer junk food from places like Mr Biggs and Chicken Republic and several other places. It is sad that a lot of them forget the essence of home-cooked food, and rather they prefer to grab a bite out with friends more often than not. The youth today wish to live a fast life. According to what I know, since I am a youth myself, many youngsters feel it’s socially attractive to hang-out with friends at the fast food joints and to nibble away at unhealthy food while they jibber jabber on worthless issues.
8. Lacking social awareness: Having a good sense of social surroundings is important. But then, there are plenty of youths who lack in this field. They have a poor sense of social judgment or what is important to the society and how to live in it. Today, we see so many cases of rash driving that lead to tragic accidents. The person behind the wheel is a 17 year old boy. Ridiculous! Yes they see cool movies like Fast and Furious 6 with all those car stunts and all. Youths today want to try cool things with cars and bikes, thus endangering the society. Many a times, youths are seen constantly plugged with their ear-phones with music playing at full volumes. Hear me out. They walk the streets with the music in their ears, so much so they don’t hear a car honking behind them! It’s sad and absurd to not have such a strong with-hold on the society at times.
7. Money-awareness absent: Parents work hard to earn money, and the youths hardly work to blow the money up. The youth of today are very demanding. They want the latest mobile, the latest laptop, they want the latest and branded fashion wear! They prefer spending high amounts of money at expensive food outlets, at bars and at unwanted parties. They spend a lot of money without realizing the value of money. Youths wanted to live a lavish lifestyle anyhow, not caring as to what it might take or cost. Well, if not all youngsters, atleast a handful of them are spoilt. They tend to blow up their money on unresourceful things. Their value for money, is dead zero.
6. Fb, twitter 24×7: It’s an internet world and there is no doubt about it whatsoever. Social networking is lovely as it helps people connect in a much easier manner. So is excessive and unwanted social networking a liability? Absolutely! Especially as it hinders your ability to develop intellect. The youth of today spend more than half their valuable time on social networking sites. They chat with friends, spend hours and hours commenting on pictures and what not. The youth don’t show a balance between socializing and personal development, something that is lacking in majority of the youths today.
5. Excessive hanging-out: The youths of today aren’t serious about lifestyle. All they want is fun and things to do that will excite them. Take a visit to some of the famous hangout places near your vicinity. You will see so many young boys and girls just idling away their time, talking to friends in groups. Being a youth myself, I do agree that spending time with friends is important. Sadly, the 21st century youth will spend hours and hours with friends discussing things that are absolutely worthless. Such scenes are very common outside universities. Once the lectures get over, you’d see youngsters getting together in shops or under trees or hangout places just chilling and idling away their time.
4. Pre-marital s*x: Pre-marital s*x rates are quickly growing according to researchers and they estimate it will soon have a graphical line that shall rise above post-marital s*x. Even more shocking is that youths aged between 16 to 20 are indulging in pre-marital s*x. This leads to higher levels of illegal abortions that are being registered today. The youth of today are clearly not well-educated in intimate matters as they need to be. Where does this all start? Let’s visualize something here. There is the mad birthday party taking place at a local joint down the road. The group of 10 friends are partying there. They consume alchohol and what not and finally they aren’t in their senses to get back home safe. A boy and girl often indulge in pre-marital s*x when they aren’t in their senses too. It happens more often than not in cases such as the one above. They wake up next morning not knowing what happened.
3. Drugs: If today’s youth take to smoking and consuming alcohol excessively, then there is no exception on drugs. Plenty of youths around the world have fallen to drug addictions and its slaveries. The biggest reason why youth are into drugs is because they enjoy it. It helps satisfy their mental desires in a very negative way, and helps them relax. If it isn’t consuming drugs, it is selling drugs to earn pocket money! The most common way for a youngster to fall prey to drugs is through friends meeting and hanging around. They see their friends consuming drugs and they feel they need to consume them too. Youngsters, as socialists suggest, love to experiment on new things and experimenting on drugs is one such thing. They also put forth this theory of boredom amongst youth that makes them take drugs more often than not. It is true that this world is challenging and can cause psychological pain. However, many youngsters take the easy way out to fight these pains and that is through drugs.
2. Drinking, alcohol: Late-night parties, no wait late-night parties that serve alcohol. Oh how the youngsters of today cherish that very thought. Speaking of thought, there was a generation once upon a time that saw this whole drinking idea for the men and ladies of their time. What was 18+ then? Everything! And today it is nothing. The youth today, sadly, have taken up consuming alcohol a little too seriously. Youths from universities, both girls and boys alike, love to attend late night parties that serve alcohol. Many cases have been registered when the youth have been caught drinking and driving too. The whole point of drinking some beer or vodka or whiskey was to celebrate something great that has happened or is happening. However, the youths of today don’t have a reason to drink on so many cases today. My point here being that whenever they feel like drinking anytime, they gather a few friends to tag along-with to the nearest bar. Most cases, they meet up at a friend’s place and drink. What follows next is the hangover. A complete mess in the lives of many young boys and girls!
1. Smoking: Smoking, unfortunately, is getting extremely prevalent in the youth today. Take a look around you. Yes, at various party, shops, or even by those local joints that sell cigarettes. You definitely will notice more number of youth taking a puff out of a Benson and Hedges cigarette. It’s almost something one is used to seeing now. Try asking these “youth” why they smoke. Go on, try it! All you will hear is that it helps their minds relax from various stresses, while a few ignorant ones would say “My friend advised me to try out smoking and I liked it”. In worst case scenarios, the most ignorant one would say “I smoke because it looks cool”. Whatever said and done, these youths do see themselves as the future generation to this world. Yet they plan to smoke excessively and become pathetic chain smokers so that they live 10 years lesser.