Teenager Dies From “Black Death” After Eating Infected Animal At Family Meal
A teenager has died from the Black Death after eating an infected animal at a family meal.
More than 100 people have been quarantined and 2,000 are being tested over fears of an epidemic.
Cattle herder Temir Issakunov, 15, contracted the disease, also known as bubonic plague, when he ate barbecued marmot at his remote mountain village of Ichke-Zhergez in north-eastern Kyrgystan.
It is the first case in the Central Asian republic for 30 years.
Doctors say Temir died in hospital last week, but it has taken until now for his cause of death to be diagnosed.
The youngster’s body has been cremated and his remains buried with special precautions.
Health official Tolo Isakov said a team has now been sent to the village to get rid of rodents which may be carrying the plague.
Antibiotics are also being handed out and the transport of livestock has been restricted, but officials said an epidemic was unlikely.
Bubonic plague killed millions across Europe in the Middle Ages and 100,000 died in the Great Plague of London between 1665 and 1666.
The last major outbreak was in Peru in 2010, when 12 people were infected. World Health Organisation expert Eric Bertherat said that 400 cases were reported in 2012, 90% of them in Africa.