Ramadan: Nigerian Muslims Are Advised To Look At The Skies
The new crescent of Ramadan is likely to appear in Nigeria on June 27, 2014, Friday, the Nigeria Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs (NSCIA) informed.
According to the statement, signed by NSCIA Secretary General Is-haq Oloyede in Abuja, Muslims in Nigeria have been advised to look for the new crescent. It has been also confirmed that the National Moon Sighting Committee members have been deployed with appropriate gadgets to various parts of the country for easy sighting of the moon.
At the same time, individuals are requested to contact the appropriate authorities once they sighted the new crescent.
The list by NSCIA included:
1. The President General of NSCIA and the Sultan of Sokoto – Tel: 08036470422 2.
2. The Deputy President-General (North) of the NSCIA and the Shehu of Borno – Tel: 08037855555, 08023549558 3.
3. The Secretary General – Tel: 08034540120.
4. The Emir of Gwandu and all other Emirs – Tel: 08036154369.
5. The Lamido of Adamawa – Tel: 07056344449.
6. The Etsu Nupe – Tel: 08039668707.
7. The Otaru of Auchi
8. The Deputy Secretary General (North) of NSCIA (Tijani El- Miskin) – Tel: 08023577013.
9. The Deputy Secretary General (South) of NSCIA (Adam Idoko) – Tel: 08036759892.
10. The President of the League of Imams and Alfas in Yoruba Land: Chief Imam of Osogbo – Tel: 08035740333.
11. The Baba Adini of Lagos, Hafiz Abou – Tel: 08033085292.
12. The Chairman, National Moon Sighting Committee, Hafis Wali – Tel: 08036009090, 08023037478.
NSCIA President General and the Sultan of Sokoto would announce the commencement of the fast immediately after the authorities make sure that the new crescent is seen properly.
The statement also said where the authorities are satisfied that the crescent has been duly sighted; would.
“However, if the crescent is not sighted on Friday, the Tarawih prayer should be observed on Saturday the 28th of June for the commencement of Ramadan on the 29th of June whether or not it is sighted on that Saturday,” the statement added.
NSCIA urged all the media organisations in the country to promptly share any announcement by the Sultan of Sokoto.
It would be added that new special Ramadan signs have been introduced by Twitter earlier today. See the example below:
If you wish to know how this story develops, use
Know more about this news? Update the info!