Posted: Monday 30th June 2014 at 19:36 pm

Police give clearance for ‘Occupy Flagstaff House’ demo to go on

d9d8240x mg eiyl05nbb7 601133408 998912 Police give clearance for Occupy Flagstaff House demo to go on


The Ghana Police Service has rescinded its decision to disallow, a group calling itself Concerned Ghanaians for Responsible Governance (CGRG) to petition President John Mahama on what it said, has been the worsening economic conditions in the country.

With this latest development, the group has the green light from the police to carry on with their intended procession to the seat of government tomorrow.

The police administration had earlier denied the group and one other, ‘One Thousand Man March’ the permission to demonstrate on the Republic Day.

Greater Accra Regional Police Public Relations Officer (PRO), DSP Freeman Tettey earlier told Joy News, for a ‘litany of reasons’ tomorrow’s demonstration would not be allowed to go ahead.

The CGRG would have clashed with its rival group which was also on the move to embark on a similar procession to solidarize with the President.

A meeting between the organisers of the demonstration and the police was held.

A news release signed by Nana Akwasi Awuah, the CGRG’s convener stated ‘the meeting with the Ghana Police Service came to a successful end a little while ago.’

‘The Ghana Police Service and Concerned Ghanaians for Responsible Governance (CGRG) have agreed that come tomorrow July 1, 2014 the protest dubbed #occupyflagstaffhouse or #occupyflagstaff and the presentation of a petition to H.E. John Dramani Mahama will take place as planned,’ it said.

Noting that, the only alteration to the event has been for all concerned Ghanaians to converge at the Efua Sutherland Children’s Park at 6 a.m. and not in front of the Flagstaff House as proposed earlier.

‘We will then march peacefully to the Flagstaff House to present our petition to the President. This compromise was reached as a result of sound security concerns presented by the Police. The Ghana Police Service has graciously assured us of protection for the entire duration of the protest,’ the statement explained.

The group cautioned its followers that it would not condone any form of violence, hooliganism or lawlessness during the event.

‘We are prepared to hand over to the Police anyone who decides to engage in such behavior. Furthermore, we entreat you all to come along with some water for your own consumption. As responsible citizens, it is our duty to ensure we do not litter so please ensure that you properly dispose off any waste you may create during tomorrow’s peaceful protest,’ it declared.

The Greater Accra Police Commander DSP Freeman Tettey later told Joy News only the leaders of the demonstration would be allowed to present the petition to the president at the Flagstaff House.

Leader for the ‘One Thousand Man March’, Koku Mawuli told Joy FM’s Super Morning Show Monday “we are not demonstrating. We don’t need a police permit. We are calling for a march.”

He explained that Ghanaians need to support the President in view of Ghana’s economic hardship.

“We are in difficult times I am not going to run away from that. But we have to be with him. He needs support to be able to deliver.”

Comments:
This article has 0 comment, leave your comment.

Comments

+