No Ghanaian involved in Lampedusa boat accident
Government on Wednesday said no Ghanaians were involved in the recent boat disaster off the coast of Lampedusa in Italy.
A statement signed by Mr Felix Kwakye Ofosu, Deputy Minister of Information and Media Relation, and copied to the Ghana News Agency said: ‘Government can confirm that contrary to initial reports, no Ghanaian casualty was recorded.’
It said a team was dispatched from Ghana’s mission in Italy to Lampedusa to ascertain the veracity of the reports that some Ghanaians had lost their lives.
‘The team after days of thorough investigations, found no evidence of the involvement of Ghanaians in the disaster,’ it added.
The statement said the team, however, discovered that a Ghanaian, Sulley Hamidu was among a group of migrants who had arrived safely in another boat a week before the tragedy. ‘He is currently receiving Consular assistance,’ it added.
Leave a comment. 0 comment so far.