Save the Children is the world’s leading independent organisation for children. We work in 120 countries. We save children’s lives; we fight for their rights; we help them fulfil their potential.
We work together, with our partners, to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives.
We have over two million supporters worldwide and raised 1.6 billion dollars last year to reach more children than ever before, through programmes in health, nutrition, education, protection and child rights, also in times of humanitarian crises.
Following a major transition, our international programmes are now delivered through a merged operation with c14, 000 staff, managed through seven regional hubs and reporting to a relatively small, central office. We’re changing to become more efficient, more aligned, a better partner, a stronger advocate, a magnet for world-class people and relevant for the 21st century.
Contract length: 2 years
As a member of the Nigeria Senior Leadership team, you will have shared accountability for Save the Children’s international development and emergency programming in a program of approximately $30 million each year through an organisation of more than 170 staff.
The National Programs Director will support the transformation of Save the Children’s operations platform in Nigeria to a new operating model, whilst also delivering Save the Children’s strategy and ensuring essential standards are met within the country through:
- Ensure all National Programs are fully compliant, are delivered on time and within budget
- Lead on strengthening the operational base and ensuring strong collaboration, joined up planning an implementation between the technical and operations and support service teams.
- Monitoring and track operational performance for the Nigeria program
- Support the monitoring of humanitarian and emergency situation in Nigeria and co-ordinate assessments, categorization and response
Qualifications and experience
- Minimum of 7 years management experience in a corporate or an NGO environment, including significant field operations experience running both emergency and development programs
- Masters degree in development or other social sciences
- Robust experience of NGO development and emergency program cycle management, and with experience of working within a complex and matrix organisation structure in a senior level role
- A very good understanding of at least 3 of the sectoral programs, in humanitarian and food security and livelihoods and a working knowledge of the program priorities of the Country Office
- Substantial experience in logistics, including procurement, supply chain, fleet management & inventory
- Significant knowledge of international humanitarian systems, institutions and donors, and of procedures, accountability frameworks and best practices in emergency management
- Substantial experience and knowledge of effective financial and budgetary control and securing and managing grants from major institutional donors
- Solid project management skills related to organisational development projects and international, cross-functional teams with a proven history of delivering results
- Ability to analyze information, evaluate options and to think and plan strategically
- An in-depth understanding of national and international development issues in particular in relation to children
- Previous experience of managing and developing a team and the ability to lead, motivate and develop others
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Knowledge and understanding of Nigeria and the Sahel
- Ability and willingness to change work practices and hours, and work with incoming teams in the event of major emergencies
- Commitment to and understanding of Save the Children’s aims, values and principles including rights-based approaches
We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
To see a full a job description, please visit our website at www.savethechildren.net/jobs
Please apply in English using your CV and covering letter as a single document, including your salary expectations for this role.
Click here to apply online