Home / Metro News / N500m suit: Ajimobi, others seek out of court settlement

N500m suit: Ajimobi, others seek out of court settlement

Gov. Abiola Ajimobi of Oyo State as well as other respondents on Wednesday said they were seeking out of court settlement in a N500 million damage suit instituted against them by a lawyer, Mr Fatai Adeosun.

The counsel to the respondents, Mrs Olumide Ojo, told the court that the Attorney-General of the state, Mr Adebayo Ojo, had informed her that the process of settling the matter out of court was ongoing.

Ojo told the court that she had been directed to inform the court about the latest development, adding that the hearing of the matter could not commence based on this development.

The claimant’s counsel, Mr Toba Olorunfemi, confirmed Ojo’s submission, saying the attorney–general had intervened in the matter and resolved for out of court settlement.

The other respondents in the suit are ASP Adesoji Adedosu, Sgt. Abubakar Mude and Sgt. Paul Audu.

Justice Olajumoke Aiki adjourned the case till April 23 for report of settlement.

It would be recalled that Adeosun had filed the suit against Ajimobi following damages he allegedly suffered due to the actions of police officers attached to the governor’s convoy.

Adeosun alleged that Adedosu, Mude and Audu, all attached to Ajimobi’s convoy, attacked, harassed, intimidated and beat him up on the instruction of the governor.

He said the incident took place while he was driving his car at Mokola area of Ibadan.

The complainant said when he saw the convoy of the governor in the area, he had slowed down and swerved to the extreme left side of the road.

Adeosun said that even with the effort he made to avoid the convoy, one of the buses still hit his car and pushed it to the median of the road.

He added that a police truck in the convoy marked “Escort 1″ also blocked his car.

The complainant said armed policemen numbering more than 18 jumped down from the truck and dragged him out of his car.

Adeosun said he was locked up at the Mokola Police Station, adding that he was not allowed to lock his car which resulted in the loss of N100, 300 cash and other valuables.

He said that the incident happened on Nov. 11, 2013, adding that “the conduct of the respondents constitutes an infringement of my right to free access to public road.”

<script type="text/javascript"><!-- google_ad_client = "ca-pub-7302103714501030"; /* ND6 */ google_ad_slot = "9287784905"; google_ad_width = 336; google_ad_height = 280; //--> </script> <script type="text/javascript" src="//pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js"> </script>

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>