The Federal Government on Wednesday said government workers that were involved in the N118bn ghost workers scam would be prosecuted.
The Minster of Finance, Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, said in a statement that the issue had already been referred to the Independent Corrupt Practices and other related offences Commission for further investigation.
The investigation followed calls made last week by the Stop Impunity Nigeria Campaign through the Centre for Social Justice for the prosecution of accounting officers that were involved in the scam.
In the statement by her Special Adviser on Communications, Mr Paul Nwabuikwu, the minister said as a result of the implementation of Integrated Personnel Payroll Information System , about 45,000 names of ghost workers had been taken off the payroll and about N118bn saved.
The statement read in part, “It is public knowledge that the ministry has consistently implemented a policy of transparency and accountability in the management of the economy and public finances.
“This is demonstrated in the monthly publication of allocations to the three tiers of government, regular updates on the status of funding of SURE-P programmes, payments to oil marketers for verified imports of petroleum products as well as other information.
“It is public knowledge that as a result of the implementation of IPPIS, about 45,000 names of ghost workers have been taken off the payroll and about N118bn saved.
“The Federal Ministry of Finance has taken the additional step of referring the issue to the ICPC for further investigation so that any identified culprits can face the full wrath of the law.”