The Borno State Government and Principal of Government Girls Secondary School, Chibok, in Borno State, Mrs. Asabe Aliyu Kwarmbula have denied military reports that most of the abducted girls have been rescued.
According to Mrs. Kwarmbula, she never told the army Spokesman, Major General Chris Olukolade that most of the girls abducted have been rescued, with only eight still missing.
The military spokesman had in Abuja told newsmen that most of the abducted school girls have been rescued on Wednesday, with only eight of them missing or are still captives of the terrorists.
Mrs. Asabe Kwarmbula however in an interview with journalists, yesterday, said: “The statement credited to the military spokesman was a blatant lie, I never spoke to the Defence Headquarters’ spokesman as widely reported by national and international media”.
“I am highly disappointed by the spokesman of the Defence Headquarters who told the media that I confirmed to him that 80 of my students who were abducted by terrorists have been rescued. From the official record I have, only 14 out of the 129 missing have been rescued as at today (Thursday),” she said.
Following Kwarmbula’s disclosure, the Defence Headquarters, yesterday, retracted its statement that the girls had been rescued, saying that it depended on field reports which it had found out to be misleading.
It, therefore, confirmed the statements of the school principal and Borno State Government that the girls were yet to be rescued.
Meanwhile, Borno State Commissioner for Education, Musa Inuwa Kubo in a statement, yesterday, gave an update on the abduction of the students.
He said in the statement: “I’m right at Government Girls Secondary School, Chibok, the scene of the unfortunate abduction. At the moment, we have taken custody of 30 girls. There is an increase of 16 students whose parents returned to school after they ran home on the day of the attack. We had made announcements and called on parents whose children and wards ran home. The aim is for us to take proper account of our 129 students who were at the hostel on the day of that unfortunate attack. You may recall that 14 students had earlier escaped from captivity as explained by our Governor, Kashim Shettima on Wednesday.
“By our records of 129 students being at the hostel at the time of that unfortunate incident, we are expecting the return of about 99 students who might be among those said to have been rescued by the Military. My self, the principal of the school, parents, other students and residents are awaiting the return of our students. We have no reason to doubt or contradict Wednesday’s announcement by the Defence Headquarters, given the fact that the Military personnel are those leading the search and rescue operations along with civilian volunteers.
“We are very hopeful that perhaps, the freed students are safely with the military and being brought to us. We pray that not just all our students return in good health but also all the security agents and volunteers safely return in good health after a successful and patriotic rescue effort. We call on parents to remain prayerful and hopeful that by the grace of God all the students will return to us in good health. On behalf of the Borno State Government, my ministry, staff and students of the affected school, parents and relations of affected students, I deeply appreciate the concern of all Nigerians and rest of the world for their solidarity and well wishes.
“I also thank the media for their very critical role as we look forward to overcoming this grieving experience.”