General News of Friday, 9 November 2012
Source: Joy Online
The Bureau of National Investigations (BNI) is detaining the Ga West Municipal Director of Works for his complicity in the collapse of the multi storey Melcom shopping center.
A deputy Minister of Information, Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa told Joy News Friday that the BNI’s investigations are pointing to the fact that Mr. Victor Mensah’s attention was drawn to illegal construction of the multi-storey when he was the Municipal Director of Works at the Accra Metropolitan Assembly, but he did little to arrest the situation.
Mr Ablakwa told Joynews that the Israeli rescue team as at Thursday night has been able to reach three people beneath the rubble but it is unclear whether they are alive or otherwise.
The Deputy Information Minister announced that a hotline had been established for persons whose relations have gone missing in the aftermath of the disaster.
The numbers to call are 023 4725999 and 026 4918886.
Meanwhile the owner of the collapsed building Nana Akwasi Boadu remains at large amidst appeals that he should turn himself in to assist in investigations.