2012: Jonathan assures on security, improved living standard

Abuja – President Goodluck Jonathan, Sunday,  assured Nigerians of improved living conditions and security of lives and property in 2012 and beyond. The President gave the assurance in his New Year message to the nation.

He urged Nigerians not to lose hope because of current challenges facing the nation, noting that his government was prepared to address them. “I urge our people to reject despair and embrace hope and optimism. We are a strong and resilient people. We have overcome all previous challenges to our nationhood and national well-being.

He said: “With unity of purpose and national solidarity, we will certainly overcome terrorism and other current challenges.

“With the support and cooperation of our patriotic compatriots, my administration will intensify its efforts to ensure the safety of lives and property in Nigeria this new year as we have already signaled in our 2012 budget proposals. “We will also continue to make progress in improving the living conditions of all Nigerians in 2012 with effective interventions in key areas.’’

The president noted that in spite of the challenges of the out-gone year, the country made remarkable and positive developments. Jonathan said that Nigeria’s democracy had been strengthened and globally recognised  with the conduct of free, fair and credible general elections in 2011.

He said his administration had also developed and begun the implementation of a purposeful and focused agenda for national transformation. The president said he had established teams of “dedicated and capable’’ Nigerians to drive the plans to achieve significant progress in priority areas such as power, infrastructure, industrialisation, agricultural development, education  and employment generation.

He said the implementation of the amnesty programme in the Niger Delt had fully restored peace to the region and boosted the production and export of crude oil which had plunged to record lows in the dark days of militant agitations. Jonathan, however, expressed regret at the spate of terrorist attacks in the past year which he said had threatened national security.

“As we enter a new year, I wish to reassure Nigerians that my administration will neither be distracted nor deterred from the effective implementation of its agenda for national growth and development by present challenges.

“We shall vigorously confront and defeat the menace of terrorism in our country and work with our friends in the international community to eliminate this new threat to global peace and security.’’ Jonathan wished all Nigerians happy celebrations and prosperous new year.

Comments are moderated. Please keep them clean and brief.

Read More:
2012: Jonathan assures on security, improved living standard

<script type="text/javascript"><!-- google_ad_client = "ca-pub-7302103714501030"; /* Ad7 */ google_ad_slot = "5463458108"; google_ad_width = 336; google_ad_height = 280; //--> </script> <script type="text/javascript" src="//pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js"> </script>

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>