NET FEATURE: 5 young music video directors giving Clarence Peters a run for his money
By Ayomide Tayo
Clarence Peters has pretty much strong-armed the music video game. But times are changing and there are new kids on the block who are ready to challenge him. Here’s NET’s list of the new men behind the lenses.
1) Adasa Cookey- Although he has a background in telecommunications, Adasa Cookey ditched the corporate world for entertainment. He hit pure gold in 2012 when he directed a music video for then little known Burna Boy. ‘Like To Party’ was one of the freshest music videos of last year and launched Adasa Cookey’s career. He hasn’t looked back since then having worked with DJ Xclusive, D’ Prince, Samklef, Ketchup, Splash and others
2) Aje- Another music video director on the heels of Clarence Peters is Aje. His named popped up on the radar when he directed Rayce’s smash hit ‘Roll’ in 2011. He followed it up with Durella’s ‘My Life’ in the same year. His hard work paid off in 2012 when he directed Sinzu’s ‘Carolina’. The video was a huge hit but the best was yet to come. His big break came when he shot Brymo’s ‘Ara’ which many critics called the music video of the year. He has gone on to shoot big music videos such as Davido’s ‘Feel Alright’.
3) Matt Maxx- Matt Maxx is the newest of the bunch. His first mainstream music video appeared on TV screens last year when he directed Coco Ice’s ‘If You Don’t Know’. His work on her music video must have impressed Olamide who recruited the new director to shoot two of his music videos ‘Voice of the Streets’ and ‘Stupid Love’. That gave him the big break he needed. This year he directed D’Banj’s ‘Don’t Tell Me Nonsense’ video.
4) Moe Musa- Moe Musa is a newbie when it comes to directing music videos in Nigeria. With only 5 years experience, he has shot music videos for some of the biggest stars in Nigeria. His first notable work came out last year when he directed the EME video ‘Get Down Tonight’. His career blew up from then. He has since directed videos for Wande Coal, Iyanya, Ice Prince, Fuse ODG, Seyi Shay, May D, Dr. Sid and others. Moe Musa is now one of the most sought after music video directors in Nigeria even though he is based in the UK.
5) Unlimited L.A- Unlimited L.A whose real names are Olalekan Buari started handling the camera in 2008 under the tutelage of DJ Tee. L.A isn’t just your average music video director as he prefers to call himself a cinematographer. He shot his first video in 2009. He directed Blackmagic’s ‘Rainbow’ in 2011 and ‘Repete’ the following year. His big break came this year when he shot Sean Tizzle’s ‘Sho Lee’ four months ago. The video to the hit single put Unlimited L.A’s name as one of the most promising music video directors. Since then he has shot videos for other Nigerian stars including Tilla Man.