Mozambique rivals sign ceasefire
Mozambique President Arnando Guebuza has signed a ceasefire with ex-rebel leader Afonso Dhlakama, who has returned to the capital for the first time in two years.
Mr Dhlakama flew into Maputo on Thursday after a deal to end two years of conflict was agreed last month.
The Renamo leader, who also fought a 1975-1992 civil war, was accompanied by diplomats for his own protection.
He said he would contest next month’s elections.
Mr Dhlakama has contested every poll since the civil war ended but has always lost.
In October 2012, he went into hiding after accusing the government of breaking the terms of the 1992 peace deal.
The low-level insurgency threatened the economic progress Mozambique had made in recent years.
Thousands of Renamo supporters greeted Mr Dhlakama at the airport, reports the AFP news agency.
“On October 15, I want this same crowd,” he told them.
“I want you all to vote Afonso Dhlakama, number one and number two Renamo!” he said in reference to the presidential and parliamentary elections.
Mr Guebuza is stepping down after serving two terms and former Defence Minister Felipe Nyusi will be the candidate of the governing Frelimo party.