Legon Pharmacists Inducted
The first batch of pharmacists from the University of Ghana (UG) Legon, School of Pharmacy, have successfully completed their professional qualifying examinations with one of them emerging as the overall best student.
In all, 31 students from UG were among 205 newly registered pharmacists inducted by the Pharmacy Council.
The ceremony, which was on the theme: ‘Advancing Pharmaceutical Care In Contemporary Ghana’, saw inductees from the University of Ghana, Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology, Central University College and those from the Diaspora.
Professor A.C. Sackeyfio, Founding Dean and Professor of Pharmacology at the School of Pharmacy, and special guest for the occasion congratulated the newly inducted registered pharmacists for their hard work and splendid achievement.
He said according to the Ghana Health Service, only 30 percent of the national requirements of pharmaceuticals products are produced in Ghana while the remaining 70 per cent are imported, which come with a high price in terms of quality and quantity that cannot be guaranteed.
In her keynote address, the former Minister of Health, Sherry Ayittey, challenged the inductees not to rest on their success but to continue to strive towards greater goals.
The University of Ghana School Of Pharmacy (UGSOP), the newest constituent of the University’s College of Health Sciences, was established in November 2007 with the enrolment of the first batch of 34 students, out of which 31 were inducted as pharmacists. Current total enrolment of students stands at 152.
Josephine Ataa Hinneh, from the University of Ghana emerged the as the overall best candidate, sweeping both the John Ocran Award for being the overall best candidate and also the Pharmacy Practice Award in the 2013 Ghana Pharmacy Professional Qualifying Examination.
She received certificates and a cash prize for each award.
The John Ocran Award was instituted by the West African Post Graduate College of Pharmacists (WAPCP), in recognition of the immense contribution of John Ocran to the development of pharmacy.
Speaking on behalf of her colleagues, Miss Hinneh thanked lecturers of the school and all who supported them during their studies and called on the Health Ministry to regularise the employment of pharmacists ready to serve in the health sector.
BY Jamila Akweley Okertchiri
This article has 0 comment, leave your comment.