Kweku Baako Dares Gbevlo Lartey Over Post Supreme Court Verdict Analysis
Political pundit Kweku Baako Jr says he will not indulge in self-censorship after the Supreme Court pronounces verdict on the election petition case.
His response comes on the heels of a meeting between national security coordinator Larry Gbevlo-Lartey and some media owners and key journalists on Wednesday at which the media were implored to avoid post-verdict analysis of any sort as a way of helping avert national mayhem.
The Editor-in-Chief of the New Crusading Guide Newspaper said on Saturday that he has no qualms with the appeal so long as it remains nothing, but an appeal.
He pointed out on private radio station Joy FM’s news analysis programme ‘Newsfile’ on Saturday that he will not allow himself to be silenced by such appeals.
In contrast, however, the appeal by the office of the national security has led to a resolution by the two main political parties in the Upper East Region to avoid post-verdict analysis for three days after the August 29 verdict.
The parties made the declaration at a meeting with the Regional Minister, Alhaji Lumina Mohammed Muniru, his deputy and the Regional Security Council.
Kweku Baako commends the move, but noted that he personally will not subscribe to such manner of post-election verdict self-censorship.
He is in good company with the Chairman of the National Media Commission, Kabral Blay Amihere who has said that any attempts to get the media to go silent will not bode well for the country.
Leave a comment. 1 comments so far.