Posted: Tuesday 24th June 2014 at 12:52 pm

Korle-Bu Staff Asks CEO, Board Chairman To Step Down


The Korle Bu Teaching Hospital Senior Staff Association (KOSSA) has called on the acting chief executive, and the board chairman of the hospital to step down with immediate effect. The ultimatum comes in the wake of allegations of mismanagement of the hospital funds by KOSSA.

The association served notice that it would continue to hold demonstrations if Rev. Albert Botchway and Mr Edward Annan remained in office as acting CEO and Board Chairman respectively.

Speaking at a news conference in Accra Monday, the President of the association, Mr Charles Nii Ofei- Palm, said although President John Dramani Mahama had responded to their petition with the assurance that he was working to address the issues raised in it, they believed that the two personalities had no moral right to continue in office.

He said they were waiting up to June 30 to hear something positive from the President. He said meantime, they would be holding peaceful demonstrations to express their displeasure at the continuous stay of the CEO and the board chairman in office.

The petition
In the petition to the President, the association gave a one-week timeline to hear a favourable response.

The need for the reconstitution of the hospital’s board and the appointment of a new CEO were among their demands.

Recall
The KOSSA had, earlier this month, levelled allegations at the board and the management of the hospital, among which was that although the acting CEO already had a vehicle, the board had agreed to buy him the latest Audi A6 series, fitted with Wifi and google maps for his personal use.

But in a swift response, the board and the management dismissed the claims, saying efforts were rather being made to reduce waste and block leakages to ensure the progress of the hospital.

Demand
At yesterday’s news conference, the KOSSA president commended the President for the $70million investment in new equipment and infrastructure in KBTH.

He, however, said  more considerate people had to be put on the board and in management to properly handle that investment.

Mr Ofei-Palm dismissed claims by the management and board that some major projects had been initiated at the hospital.

He contended that most of the achievements Mr Annan was laying claim to, were projects started by the former board and the Ministry of Health.

He said claims that revenue had increased during the CEO’s tenure were also untrue.

Mr Ofei-Palm explained that revenue increased because of the general increment in fees late last year.

On revenue generation at the hospital, he said Prof. Afua Hesse, a former CEO, left over GH¢ 6million in the coffers of the hospital in addition to GH¢2.8 in fixed deposit.

Fact sheet
The association alleged in their petition that the misuse of funds by the board and the management, which had led to poor infrastructure development at the hospital, had also caused avoidable deaths.

It also accused the board and the management of spending more than GH¢1 million on luxury vehicles saying that the management and the board had allegedly bought nine brand new VW Passat vehicles and Audi A6, estimated at more than GH¢1 million.

However, at a press conference, the board and the management dismissed the claims, saying that all efforts were being made to reduce waste and block all leakages to ensure progress and the development of the hospital.

The Minister of Health, Ms Sherry Ayittey, therefore directed that the cars be returned to the Ministry.

Credit: Daily Graphic.com.gh

Comments:
This article has 0 comment, leave your comment.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

Wordpress SEO Plugin by SEOPressor
+