Doctors and nurses at the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital (KATH) have resolved to continue with their strike until their security concerns have been addressed by the management of the hospital and the security agencies.
The health workers took the decision after their meeting with the police and the management ended inconclusively.
The workers laid down their tools last Friday, following an attack on some of their colleagues at the Maternity (Ward A 1) of the hospital by some irate youth on Thursday. They attacked staff and vandalised hospital property, demanding the body of a baby believed to have been stillborn.
The baby had been born dead by Madam Swabia Abdul-Mumin on Wednesday, February 5, this year.
The irate youth were believed to be sympathisers of Madam Abdul-Mumin, whose stillborn baby’s body could not found.
The Regional Security Co-ordinator and the Ashanti Regional Commander of the Rapid Deployment Force of the Ghana Police, Supt Chris Klomegah, met with the management of hospital yesterday to brief them about the security arrangement put in place to ensure the safety and security of hospital staff.
In an interview, Mr Kwame Frimpong, the Public Relations Officer of the KATH, said the management of the hospital was hopeful that with the security arrangement made so far, the staff would resume work as soon as possible.
He said the police command had also given their word that should the doctors and nurses have any reason for extra security, it would not hesitate to provide it to allow for congenial working environment.
He said the doctors also raised concern about the security at their residences and had the assurance from the police that armed security would be dispatched quickly to secure their residences.
Leave a comment. 0 comment so far.