KATH doctors, nurses desert post following attack
Several doctors and nurses at the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital assaulted by a mob of angry men have still not been located after they fled the hospital to escape being lynched.
Joy News has learnt that some health practitioners have threatened to lay down their tools in protest over the incident.
Angered by the disappearance of a baby hospital authorities say is dead but cannot produce the body, about 20 armed men stormed the facility Thursday morning, leaving in their wake a trail of destruction.
Three of the attackers have been arrested. The police in Kumasi are now on a manhunt for 17 others who went to the hospital to demand the missing body of the baby.
Public Relations officer of the Hospital, Kwame Frimpong told Joy FM’s Top Story that measures are being put in place to protect the doctors and other staff of the hospital.
He conceded that many hosital staff were shaken by Thursday’s events.
He maintained that the hospital has “no intention to steal a baby”, adding that the mother of the baby even attested through thumb printing that she suffered a stillbirth.
He reiterated that the hospital is concerned about the missing baby, which he said explains why the police have been invited to investigate the matter.
Frimpong said a series of meetings have been held with management of the various departments to get in touch with their staff, “and we are hoping that they will respond”.
“It was really terrible,” he said, staff were in a “panic situation.” Th police have however beefed up their presence in the hospital.
Luv FM’s Erastus Asare Donkor, who visited the KATH reports that doctors in other wards were even scared to perform their duties.
But the Ashanti Regional Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Mohammed Tanko assured that the police would “keep a close eye” on the facility to ensure “nothing untoward happens”.
Meanwhile, a team of investigators sent to the hospital by the Health Ministry returned Thursday and are set to present their report to the sector minister Friday, February 2014.
Tony Goodman, head of communications at the ministry, said the action of the men must be condemned by all.
He said it was illegal for the men to have taken the law into their hands, when the ministry has assured the family of the missing baby that it will get to the bottom of the matter.
Leave a comment. 0 comment so far.