How to Stop Depression From a Breakup: Follow These Top 3 Tips
Depression is a very common problem when you’re undergoing a breakup or separation. You might even wonder how to stop depression from a breakup or separation.
Breaking up can be one of the most painful events a person can go through no matter what the reason was. After all, when a relationship ends, you undergo some of the same thought processes and emotions as you do with death or any other similar painful ending.
After breaking up, you don’t want to contact your ex for a certain amount of time. This only makes you look desperate, needy, and just pushes the other person away even more. You want to take this time to work on yourself.
Here are 3 tips for how to stop depression from a breakup:
1. Have a Good Social Support System
- This could include friends, family, coworkers, church, or even a trustworthy counselor
- You need people you can rely on; wheh dealing with breakup you cannot do this alone
- Make sure you surround yourself with people that will encourage you, bring out the best in you, and overall have your best interests in mind
2. Go Volunteer or Do Something Altruistic
- Doing volunteer work or contributing to a worthy cause can be one of the best ways to deal with almost any depression
- This helps you get out of your head (while you are helping out somewhere, chances are you won’t be thinking about your situation)
- This could include spending time at a nursery home, helping out at a soup kitchen, or anything else where you help benefit your community
3. Take Care of Your Mind & Body
- When dealing with a breakup, you will most likely have trouble eating, sleeping, and/or finding the motivation to exercise
- During this time, it’s even more important that you practice healthy eating and get adequate exercise
- Rigorous exercise can release positive chemical inside your body which help to reduce your depression and other negative feelings
- Proper nutrition can also help your mind and body maintain balance (this could include eating more fresh fruits, fresh vegetables, and lean protein such as turkey and fish)
- Laughter can be one of the best forms of medicine – go ahead and make time to watch some of your favorite comedies
While these 3 tips may not help you completely eliminate your feelings of depression and desolation, they can at least help minimize these negative feelings. Take action on these tips and don’t give up!