Governor Fashola’s Reaction To Burning Of BRT Buses By Soldiers
Lagos state Governor, Babatunde Fashola, has condemned the act of burning BRT buses on July 4, 2014, Friday by suspected soldiers.
Governor Fashola in a statement said:
“There is an allegation that someone who was not supposed to be on the BRT route was on it. As far I know, if something happens to you while you are conducting an unlawful act it is a criminal offence.
“But it is really disappointing that public servants, and that is what soldiers are, paid with tax payer’s money, will act in a manner that is being suggested.
“I am waiting for the official report to let me know who played what role and what happened. And whether the Brigade Commander has been able to identify the people who committed the offence. If it turns out to be true, it will be a very irresponsible conduct, to put it very mildly.
“In 2006 soldiers stormed the Area C Police Station. We have just managed to reconstruct it. If buses that citizens are complaining are not enough are set ablaze, I do not know how setting ablaze buses recompense any injury that one may have suffered.
“I do not know how damaging public property is the restitution for any injury that may have come. For now, the only thing that I can say to you is that when I get the full fact, I will address the residents, to let them know what happened and what the state action will be.
“I have been in touch with the Brigade commander, who assured me that he was managing the situation. Nothing I have here is verified, I am waiting for a formal report before we can ventilate a position”.
It was reported yesterday (Friday) that the soldiers burnt over 8 BRT Buses, beat up drivers and even innocent Lagosians after one of their colleagues was allegedly killed by BRT who were going about their normal day-to-day activities at Palmgrove, Ikorodu road of the state.
RELATED: BRT Bus Did Not Kill Any Soldier
The Public Relations Officer of the Nigerian Army, Gen. Olajide Olaleye, however, denied the involvement of the soldiers in the attack saying:
“It’s not true that soldier destroyed buses or set any bus on fire. What happened was that a BRT bus knocked down a soldier and killed him”.
Meanwhile a LAGBUS official, Abiodun Apata said that BRT wasn’t responsible for the death of the soldier as they reportedly found that “a corpse had been deposited in our bus and a motorcycle parked behind it”.
Sources: Naij.com news, Premium Times