Gas Explosion Kills One At Nungua Zongo
The victims at the hospital
SIX FAMILY members have sustained various degrees of burns with one dead after a gas explosion at their residence at Nungua Zongo, a suburb of Accra, on Wednesday.
The deceased, according to the Senior Resident at the Korle-Bu Reconstructive, Plastic Surgery and Burns Unit, Dr. Nyiba Edem, sustained a 100 percent burn, which meant every part of his skin was affected from the accident.
The other victims – a one-year-old baby, the mother of one of the victims and the repairer, sustained multiple degrees of burns ranging from 25 per cent to 55 per cent of their bodies and have since been admitted at the Center.
The 55-year-old woman had her face and legs bandaged while the little girl also had her whole body covered in bandage.
Reports on the circumstances leading to the unfortunate happening indicated that the family attempted to use a faulty gas cylinder, which had just been fixed by a repairer.
Dr. Nyiba explained to DAILY GUIDE in an interview that the remaining five were stabilized and were receiving medical treatment. ‘We are doing our best for them to get better,’ he said.
He intimated that some of the victims suffered inhalational injuries, which occurs when a fire victim inhales heat in an enclosed area – a condition he attributed to the cause of death of one of the victims.
Such instance, he noted compounded the percentage of burns on that particular victim and might worsen the condition.
He, however, indicated that treating the victims would be expensive as according to him, a 25 per cent burn migt need as much as four to five tubes of topical antibiotic creams.
He said an estimated amount of GH¢750 to GH¢1,500 per week would be needed for the treatment of the victim’s wounds.
The surviving victims, according to reports from an Accra-based radio station, could not afford the cost of treatment and had called on the general public to come to their aid.
BY Jamila Akweley Okertchiri
This article has 0 comment, leave your comment.