Fleeing KATH doctors, nurses demand security before returning to work
Doctors and nurses at the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital (KATH) who vacated their post following an attack on them say they will only return to work after they are assured of their safety.
The health officials at KATH were assaulted last week by a mob over the disappearance of a stillborn whose body cannot be found at the hospital mortuary.
Three of the attackers have been arrested.
The police is on a manhunt for 17 others attackers.
Public Relations Officer of the hospital, Kwame Frimpong, told Joy News on Monday that the health workers have requested the Ashanti Regional Security Council guarantee their safety.
Also, the doctors and nurses at Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital will hold separate meetings to decide on their next line of action.
The Ashanti Regional Minister, Eric Opoku, has pleaded with the health workers return to the hospital.
He said security will be beefed up to assure them of their safety, adding that the Regional Security Council would also look into the matter.
Since the strike, the Labour Ward have been closed.
The KATH PRO, Kwame Frimpong, expressed surprise at the attack stating that there is audio evidence to prove that the baby’s mother knew about the stillbirth.
He explained that hospital authorities cannot produce the body of the stillborn because there was an “aberration” in the procedure which the facility follows when a baby dies.
According to him, the dead baby is usually bagged and labeled with the name of the mother and other relevant information.
“But in this particular instance, we could not trace the body to morgue”, he reiterated.
He said investigations have begun into the incident adding that the hospital would not have initiated investigations if authorities were hiding something.
Leave a comment. 0 comment so far.