FIFA reveals African playoff draw procedures
FIFA has released the draw procedure for Monday’s African Zone play-offs involving ten teams.
Ten teams from the continent who topped their second round groups will be entered into a draw to be held by the Confederation of African Football – CAF in Egypt.
Ghana and nine other group winners – Ivory Coast, Algeria, Nigeria, Tunisia, Egypt, Burkina Faso, Ethiopia, Senegal and Cameroon – will be drawn for the two-leg ties, with the winners going to the finals in Brazil.
African Zone Playoff Draw Procedures
- Draw on 16 September 2013 to match playoff opponents
- 5 home-and-away playoff series
- Playoff dates:
- 11-15 October 2013: 1st leg
- 15- 19 November 2013: 2nd leg
- 5 playoff series winners qualify for 2014 FIFA World Cup
Ranking and Seeding:
According to Article 18.1 of Regulations for 2014 FIFA World Cup, groups seeded based on the FIFA/Coca-Cola World Ranking (12th September 2013):
- the 5 highest-ranking group winners will comprise Pot 1
- the 5 lowest-ranking group winners will comprise Pot 2
Pot 1 – Seeded teams
Pot 2 – non seeded teams
1.One ball from Pot 1 and one ball from Pot 2 will be drawn and placed into a central pot
2.The two draw balls will be stirred, then drawn one by one
3.The first ball drawn from the central pot will be the home team for the first leg; the second ball drawn from the central pot will be the home team for the second leg
4.Steps 1-3 will be repeated for the remaining four balls in each pot
Tie-Breaking procedures, Article 18, paragraph 9 of the Regulations for the 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil:
- If teams are tied after two-match series (on basis of Results, Goals Scored, Away Goals), then Cup System will take effect
- After conclusion of second match (i.e. 90 minutes of regulatory time), 30 minutes of overtime will be played (2 x 15 minutes)
- Goals scored during overtime period will be decisive
a) Team scoring greater number of goals advances
b) If both teams score same number of goals, then team with more away goals advances
- If no goals are scored in the extra-time, then penalty kick procedures will apply, as described in the Laws of the Game
Leave a comment. 0 comment so far.