Posted: Monday 11th August 2014 at 20:06 pm

Ebola scare: KNUST suspends re-opening


The outbreak of the deadly Ebola disease in West Africa has forced authorities at the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST) to suspend indefinitely, the re-opening date for the 2014/2015 academic year.

The decision, according to the authorities, is also partly because of the industrial action called by the University Teachers Association of Ghana (UTAG).

“It is announced for the information of the University Community and the General Public that the date for the re-opening of the University for the 2014/2015 Academic Year has been suspended indefinitely,” a statement issued by the office of the Registrar said.

“The suspension is to enable the University to prepare adequately for re-opening in view of the University Teachers’ Association of Ghana (UTAG) Industrial Action and the Ebola Scare in the West Africa Region.”

The statement further urged students “to hold themselves in readiness for the new dates which may come at short notice.”

UTAG, last month, called the strike over government’s delay in paying book and research allowances to its members.

Last week, the University of Cape Coast also suspended re-opening due to the lecturers’ strike.

The University of Ghana, however, says its planned re-opening date remains unchanged even though UTAG is on strike.

Head of Public Affairs at UCC, Daniel Turkson told Joy News “due to the UTAG strike, teaching and learning cannot be done on campus when there is a strike.” Story by Ghana | Myjoyonline.com | Jerry Tsatro Mordy | [email protected]

Comments:
This article has 0 comment, leave your comment.

+