Posted: Tuesday 2nd September 2014 at 5:35 am

Ebola: Lagos Receives FG’s N200m Intervention Fund

EVD not over yet, but we are in control —Fashola

Lagos State Governor Babatunde Fashola has confirmed the state has received the N200 million intervention fund from the Federal Government for the containment of Ebola in the state.

He also assured residents that through concerted effort by health workers, the state government had been able to contain the spread of the deadly Ebola Virus Disease (EVD).

Fashola made this known while receiving Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and other items for the treatment of Ebola cases from a delegation from MTN, Nigeria, led by its Chairman, Dr. Pascal Dozie, at the Lagos House, Alausa, Ikeja.

Commending health workers who risked their lives to save Ebola patients, the governor said: “They stood up to be counted when there was dire need, when there was fear even at the highest levels of government. But in spite of those fears some men and women stood up to be counted. We will talk about them later.

“The real problem is the sufficiency of experienced virologists and Ebola specialists in managing and when the sub-region is challenged on many fronts that capacity thins out. That really is the problem, so it is not always a money problem. As at this time it isn’t really an equipment problem. It is a human capacity problem.

“With the stage we are now and like I said before, we do not need to panic, Ebola virus is not automatic death sentence. A lot of knowledge is being gained on daily basis even at this moment about the behaviour of the virus and that knowledge will help the scientists to prepare even better to respond to an outbreak.

“So far, we have eight Ebola patients who have fully recovered from the disease; two are still in isolation while the state has recorded only five deaths so far.”

=”left”>

+