CHIBOK GIRLS: Presidency Doubts Obasanjo’s Sincerity
Former President, Olusegun Obasanjo who was recently granted access to President Jonathan to help with the negotiations for the release of the Abducted Chibok girls is said to be insincere in his claim which is the thinking in government circles, according to PUNCH investigation.
It would be recalled that Obansanjo had said last week that his efforts to negotiate the release of the abducted schoolgirls had been delayed as a result of not getting support from the Nigerian government.
Meanwhile Obasanjo who had previously met with Boko Haram mediators admitted his access to the Boko haram sects while warning of the consequences of not rescuing the girls on time saying: “I believe that some of them will never return. We will still be hearing about them many years from now. Some will give birth, but if they cannot take care of them in the forest, they may be released.”
Obasanjo, however, thinks the best option now is for the government to negotiate with the Insurgents but not without condemning President Jonathan for not ensuring the release of the abducted girls promptly.
But a top Presidency source, who pleaded not to be named because of the sensitivity of the issue, however, told Punch correspondents in Abuja on Tuesday, that Obasanjo was not sincere in his claims.
The source said the former President had yet to approach President Goodluck Jonathan on the matter despite the fact that he had an unfettered access to him.
He added that what further showed the insincerity in Obasanjo’s claims was his absence on two occasions last week during events that he could have used to approach the President if he did not want to speak with him one-on-one.
The source said: “The truth of the matter is that Chief Obasanjo is not sincere in his claim and the government would no longer be drawn into a media war with him no matter the provocation.
“It will interest you to know that he has not approached the President on the matter despite the interviews he has been granting on the matter.
“Just last week, there was an All Political Parties Summit on Security attended by the President in Abuja, Chief Obasanjo was invited and he did not attend.
“You will also recall that President Jonathan, later in the day, also met with former leaders inside the Presidential Villa on the security situation in the country. Again, Chief Obasanjo did not attend that meeting.
“All these are pointers to the fact that the former leader is not sincere in his claims.”
On April 14, over 200 Chibok school girls were kidnapped by the Boko Haram sects from Government Girls Sceondary school in Borno, while few were able to escape, others are still being held captive.
The people of Chibok community are still living in fear as it was reported on June 16 that the dreaded Boko Haram terrorists has yet again made fresh threat to the people of Chibok community warning them of another attack.
If you wish to know how this story develops, use
Know more about this news? Update the info!