Kenya

Kenya VP Ruto to go on trial in The Hague: ICC

Kenyan Deputy President William Ruto pictured during a trial hearing in The Hague on May 14, 2013. By Lex van Lieshout (Pool/ANP/AFP/File) THE HAGUE (AFP) - Kenya's Deputy President William Ruto will be tried for crimes against humanity in The Hague in September, the International Criminal Court said on Monday, slapping down a request by defence lawyers to have the hearing moved to Africa."The judges of the ICC have decided... that the commencement of the trial against William Ruto will take place at the seat of the court in The Hague, Netherlands," the tribunal said in a statement.Ruto, 46, faces three counts of crimes against humanity over deadly violence that erupted in Kenya after elections in late 2007, which claimed some 1,100 lives and displaced around 600,000 others.The Hague-based court last month set September 10 as the start date for the trial of Ruto and fellow-accused Joshua Arap Sang, 37, but at the time recommended that part or all of the high-profile hearing be held in Kenya or Tanzania.In January, both Ruto and Sang's lawyers asked judges to move the trial from The Hague to the two African countries, saying a hearing there would "cause minimum disruption to the public and private lives of the defendants."But judges Monday ruled for a home-based trial, saying they reached their conclusion "after an extensive discussion that considered the observations of all the parties.""Judges took into account numerous factors such as security, the cost of holding proceedings outside The Hague, potential impact on victims and witnesses, the length of the proceedings to be held away from the seat of the court," and others, ICC said.The ICC did last month excuse Ruto from attending parts of the trial as a result of his government commitments in Kenya.The ICC in January 2012 confirmed crimes against humanity charges against four senior Kenyans including Ruto, Sang and Kenya's newly-elected President Uhuru Kenyatta.Charges against a fourth accused, civil servant Francis Muthaura, have since been dropped.Judges last month postponed Kenyatta's trial until November 12, when he is expected to become the first-ever serving head of state to face the ICC's judges.What began as post-election riots in 2007 quickly turned into ethnic killings and reprisal attacks, plunging Kenya into its worst wave of unrest since independence from Britain in 1963.Comments:Leave a comment. ...

Read More »

Rudisha out of Kenya’s world championships squad

World 800m champion David Rudisha speaks at a news conference during the London Olympics on August 10, 2012. By Saeed Khan (AFP/File) NAIROBI (AFP) - World and Olympic 800m champion David Rudisha was left out of Kenya's 49-strong athletics team named on Sunday for next month's World Championships in Moscow.The 24-year-old world record holder missed the championship trials due to a knee injury but the selectors said they would monitor his condition in the next week before deciding whether he would defend his world title at the August 10-18 event.Olympic 800m bronze medallist Timothy Kitum will also not compete in Moscow after failing to qualify when he finished a poor sixth behind race winner Anthony Chemut.Two rookies, Ferguson Rotich and Jeremia Mutai, who took second and third positions behind the 20-year-old Chemut were selected in the team.Kenya squad:Men800m: Anthony Chemut, Ferguson Rotich, Jeremia Mutai1500m: Silas Kiplagat, Asbel Kiprop, Nixon Chepseba5000m: Isaiah Kiplangat Koech, Thomas Longosiwa, Edwin Soi, John Kipkoech10000m: Bedan Karoki, Paul Tanui, Kenneth Kipkemoi3000m S/Chase: Conseslus Kipruto, Abel Mutai, Ezekiel Kemboi, Paul kipsiele KoechMarathon: Bernard Koech, Michael Kipyego, Bernard Kipyego, Peter Some, Nicholas Kipkemboi4 x 400m Relay: Alphas Leken Kishoyian, Moses Kertich, Boniface Mweresa, Mike Mokamba, Boniface Mucheru, Vincent KosgeiJavelin: Julius YegoWomen400m: Maureen Jelagat800m: Eunice Sum, Janeth Jepkosgei, Winnie Chebet1500m: Hellen Obiri, Faith Chepngetich, Nancy Jebet Langat5000m: Mercy Cherono, Viola Kibiwott, Margaret Wangare10000m: Gladys Cherono, Emily Chebet, Sally Kaptich Chepyego3000m S/Chase: Milcah Chemos Cheywa, Gladys Kipkemoi, Hyvin Kiyeng, Lydia ChepkuruiMarathon: Edna Kiplagat, Lucy Kabuu, Eunice Jepkirui.Comments:Leave a comment.

Read More »

Middle-distance showdown set at Kenyan trials

Kenya's Ezekiel Kemboi celebrates after winning the men's 3000m steeplechase during the 2012 London Olympic Games. By Franck Fife (AFP/File) NAIROBI (AFP) - The men's steeplechase and 800-metre races top the Kenyan trials on Saturday for the world athletics championships at the Nyayo national stadium in Nairobi.Nearly 200 athletes are set to compete in the event which has been altered to straight finals, making this the most competitive national team trials ever to be staged in the country.Olympic and world champion Ezekiel Kemboi, Paul Kipsiele Koech, Brimin Kipruto and Conseslus Kipruto head the strong line-up in the steeplechase.Two-time champion Kemboi, who announced his retirement after the London Olympics only to change his mind this year showed he was still a force when he ran a world-leading 7:59.03 to win the Paris Diamond League on July 6.Koech has always struggled to compete at altitude and has failed several times at the world and Olympic trials but the three-time Diamond League champion might get a reprieve this time if he manages to finish among the top three.However 18-year-old former world junior champion Conseslus Kipruto appears to in the mood to crash the party having beaten both Kemboi and Koech at the Prefontaine Classic in Oregon in June.Apart from Prefontaine, the teenager has won two Diamond League races on the this season including the Bislett Games in Oslo.Three others youngsters are expected to hold their own in the men's 800m, following the forced withdrawal through injury of David Rudisha and the 2007 world champion Alfred Kirwa Yego on Friday.The trio who will be led by the London Olympic bronze medallist, Timothy Kitum will be gunning for the remaining berths after Rudisha, the reigning world and Olympic champion was guaranteed his place if he recovers in time for the world championships.Doctors treating the runner are expected to give their verdict on his availability next week.Comments:Leave a comment.

Read More »

Kenya jails three foreign terror suspects for a year

Police officers on guard in the coastal Kenyan town of Malindi, February 24, 2013. By Ivan Lieman (AFP/File) MOMBASA, Kenya (AFP) - Three foreigners wanted on terrorism charges in Belgium were jailed in Kenya for a year on Friday for entering the country illegally, court officials and lawyers said.Court documents identified two of the men, Ben Abdalla Ismail and Rachid Benimari, as French nationals, although there remained some confusion as French officials have confirmed the nationality of only one man.A third, Mustapha Bouyabaren, was said to be Belgian.The men are believed to have arrived in Kenya from Somalia, where a brutal Islamist insurgency is raging to topple the government.The men pleaded guilty to being in Kenya illegally."The magistrate has sentenced them to one year each in jail," said a court official, who was not authorised to speak to the media but read from court documents which were confirmed by lawyers.Abdallah Mazrui, a lawyer defending one of two Kenyans accused of hosting the three foreigners and who were also in court Friday, said "they were sentenced to one year for being unlawfully in the country."Kenyan police had earlier said it was expected they would be deported to face charges connected to terrorism back home, but after sentencing it was not immediately clear if they would serve their prison terms in Kenya first."The foreigners were arrested following intelligence from our partners," said Njeru Mwaniki, Kenya's anti-terrorism police chief."We have information that they are wanted by their countries on terrorism related issues," he said, adding that "the suspects will be deported back to their countries to face charges they are wanted for."The Belgian government prosecutor said Friday an international arrest warrant on terrorism charges for the three men had been issued by Brussels, which would request their extradition, according to the Belga news agency.All were arrested Tuesday in the town of Malindi, a popular tourist resort on the Indian Ocean coast.The two Kenyans arrested, Hussein Omar and Ahmed Omar, pleaded not guilty to supporting the foreigners, and have been released on bail pending trial set to be held on September 9.A European diplomat said the foreigners were believed to have entered Kenya from Somalia, where Al-Qaeda-linked Shebab insurgents are waging a bitter war against the troops of the internationally-backed government.Documents shown in the court in Malindi said the trio first arrived by air in Kenya's capital Nairobi in April 2011, where they were given a month-long visa to stay.In recent years several foreigners crossed from Kenya into Somalia to join the Shebab, but now advances by African Union troops and infighting within the group have seen some foreigners leave the insurgents.It is not the first time Belgians have been suspected of fighting alongside Islamist groups in conflict-torn countries in recent years.For the past several months, Belgian authorities have expressed concern over the departure of several dozen young Muslims to Syria, where they are reported to have joined Islamist militia forces.Comments:Leave a comment. 0 comment so far.

Read More »

Kenya charges three foreign terror suspects

File picture shows police officers on guard in the coastal Kenyan town of Malindi, February 24, 2013. By Ivan Lieman (AFP/File) MOMBASA, Kenya (AFP) - Three foreigners facing terrorism charges at home have been charged with illegally entering Kenya and are set to be deported, lawyers and officials said Friday.Court documents identified two of the men, Ben Abdalla Ismail and Rachid Benimari, as French nationals. ...

Read More »

Kenyans hail Wanyama after Southampton move

Victor Wanyama fends off Barcelona's Pedro Rodriguez in a Champions League game in Glasgow on November 7, 2012.

Read More »

Kenyan woman ‘enslaved’ by Saudi princess in US

Saudi princess Meshael Alayban, arrested July 10, 2013 has been charged with human trafficking.. By (District Attorney Orange County/AFP) LOS ANGELES (AFP) - A Saudi princess was set to be released from US jail on bail after being charged with enslaving a Kenyan woman, forcing her to work in abusive conditions and withholding her passport.Meshael Alayban, 42, one of six wives of a grandson of the Saudi King Abdullah, paid a $5 million bond and surrendered her passport, the Orange County, California district attorney's office said in a statement.She "is required to wear a GPS tracking device, is prohibited from leaving Orange County without permission from the Court, and is barred from having any contact with the victim," the statement explained.Alayban, who was arrested Wednesday, is accused of forcing the Kenyan woman to work 16 hour days, seven days a week, for a monthly salary of just $220.The unnamed victim, 30, who sought overseas work to pay for her young daughter's medical care, allegedly worked in Alayban's palace in Saudi Arabia and then in her home in Irvine, California, southeast of Los Angeles.Prosecutors said the victim had signed a contract with an employment agency that promised her a salary of $1,600 a month for a 40-hour work week.The princess was charged with "human trafficking of a Kenyan woman into the United States and forcing the victim to work as a domestic servant against her will," the Orange County District Attorney said in a statement.The victim, who began working in Saudi Arabia in March 2012 and moved to the US with the Saudi family in May 2013, was "forced to work tending to at least eight people in four apartments" in Irvine, California, prosecutors said.She was given no breaks, no days off, and no chance to leave "except for a family outing so the victim could carry the family's bags."She told authorities Alayban withheld her passport and refused to allow her to return to Kenya.Before her move to the US, Alayban told her to lie to authorities about the conditions of her employment during a visa interview, prosecutors said.But on Tuesday, the woman managed to escape, flagging down a bus. Noticing her nervousness, one of the passengers helped her contact the police. ...

Read More »

Lavatsa brace takes Kenya to top in Cosafa Cup

Kenyan soccer fans celebrate at the Moi International Sports Centre Kasarani in Nairobi on November 14, 2009. By Simon Maina (AFP/File) JOHANNESBURG (AFP) - An Edwin Lavatsa brace gave Kenya a 2-0 win over Swaziland Tuesday and top place in Group B of the Cosafa Cup.Lesotho netted in stoppage time to draw 3-3 with Botswana in a thrilling second half of a double-header in the Zambian town of Kitwe.Jerome Ramatlhakwane scored a hat-trick for Botswana at the Arthur Davies Stadium, but Thabelo Tale levelled on 93 minutesKenya, many of whose stars were playing a third game in as many days, top the table with four points going into the final round Thursday.Lesotho and Botswana have two points each and are also in contention for first place and a quarter-final date with former winners Angola.Swaziland cannot finish first, but could decide who does as they face Lesotho in Lusaka while Kenya and Botswana match-up in Kitwe.After domestic league fixtures two days ago, Kenya came from two goals behind to hold Lesotho 2-2 Monday.Fears that three matches in three days would take its toll proved unfounded as they were far too strong for the limited Swazis.Lavatsa struck after just five minutes on a warm, clear mid-winter afternoon in the heart of the Zambian copper-mining region.Racing on to a through pass, he stabbed the ball past onrushing goalkeeper Nhlanhla Gwebu, star of a 0-0 weekend draw with Botswana.A Lavatsa volley into the corner of the net nine minutes after half-time confirmed the Harambee Stars' supremacy.Democratic Republic of Congo-based Ramatlhakwane struck after five and 51 minutes to give the Zebras a two-goal advantage.But a Lesotho side continually booed by local spectators drew level through a Ralekoti Mokhahlane penalty and a Nkau Lerotholi header.The unsporting crowd behaviour stemmed from Lesotho snatching a draw against Zambia in Maseru last March and denting their World Cup hopes.Rattled Botswana regained the lead 11 minutes from time when Ramatlhakwane completed the first hat-trick of this tournament.But Tale grabbed his second goal of the 15-day championship to earn Lesotho a point and keep alive hopes that the Crocodiles can progress.Namibia won Group A Monday by coming from behind twice to defeat the Seychelles 4-2 at Nkoloma Stadium in Lusaka.The Brave Warriors face depleted South Africa in a last-eight line-up completed by title-holders Zimbabwe against Malawi and Zambia against Mozambique.Started in 1997, the Cosafa Cup was stopped three years ago when the South African brewery which bankrolled it withdrew.But the company returned this year and Zambia hope a successful hosting will boost chances of staging the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations.Comments:Leave a comment

Read More »

Kenya seizes three tonnes of ivory at port

A Kenya Ports Authority (KPA) employee inspects confiscated ivory tusks in Mombasa, on January 21, 2013. By Ivan Lieman (AFP/File) NAIROBI (AFP) - Kenyan customs officers have confiscated more than three tonnes of elephant ivory destined for Malaysia, they said Tuesday, one of the largest in a series of such seizures.Kenya Wildlife Service spokesman Paul Mbugua said the 3,287 kilogrammes (7,246 pounds) of ivory were hidden in a shipment of peanuts in the port city of Mombasa, a regional hub.Some tusks weighed almost 60 kilogrammes (132 pounds), originating from so-called "big elephants", said customs official Fatuma Yussuf."We do not know where the ivory originated from, but preliminary investigations show they might have been packaged locally," Mbugua added.The shipment was discovered Monday, but full details were released on Tuesday, with officers continuing to investigate other containers.It follows a shipment seized in Mombasa earlier this month -- also destined for Malaysia -- hidden underneath dried fish, weighing almost one and a half tonnes.Earlier this month US President Barack Obama signed an executive order launching a $10 million (7.7 million euro) bid to cut wildlife trafficking in Africa, with $3 million in assistance earmarked for Kenya.However, that assistance is dwarfed by the potential profits from large scale shipments such as those that have recently been seized.In January, KWS officials said that 3.8 tonnes of ivory were seized, also at Mombasa, apparently on transit from Tanzania to Indonesia.Ivory trade is banned under the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES).Poaching has risen sharply in Africa in recent years. ...

Read More »

Somalia demands Kenyan troops leave southern port

Soldiers of the Kenyan contingent serving with ...

Read More »
Wordpress SEO Plugin by SEOPressor