There were impressions that Downs & Chiefs will compete in the Champions League with Bucs and Wits taking part in the Confederation Cup but that will only be confirmed in September
The Confederation of African Football (Caf) has cleared the air regarding slots that will be allocated to South African clubs in the next edition of both the Champions League and the Confederation Cup.
The majority of SA football fans were made to believe that the two top PSL clubs will compete in the Caf Champions League in 2015, with a team that finishes third on the log taking part in the Confederation Cup together with Nedbank Cup winners.
However, the African football governing body revealed that the decision to award slots will only be taken in September, while at the same admitting that SA could still have four spots in the next edition due to Orlando Pirates’ Caf run in the 2013 edition.
“Regarding the slots awarded to South Africa, I think we should wait for the next rankings of member-association of Caf to be issued around September to know how many slots will be awarded to SA for the year 2015.
“The rankings are made according to the performances of the clubs in Caf intercontinental competitions for the past five editions and that will be from 2009 to 2013,” said Caf media division director Junior Binyam on Metro FM on Tuesday.
“Hopefully, depending on the performances of the other countries, South African can be awarded four slots for 2015, as Orlando Pirates reached the final last year. So, there can be four slots next year and back to two slots in 2016 because the performance of South African teams in 2014 wasn’t that good,” he said.
“For now SA has two slots – one in the Champions League and one in the Confederation Cup – and the slots for the 2015 edition will be determined according to the rankings to be issued in September or latest in October,” he reiterated.
This article has 0 comment, leave your comment.