Bosomtwe Constituency NDC Opposes Re-Nomination Of DCE
THE EXECUTIVES of the Bosomtwe Constituency of the ruling National Democratic Congress (NDC) has kicked against the second time nomination of the District Chief Executive of the area, Hon. Edward Nti Berko.
Mr. Nti Berko failed to secure the 50% votes that would have warranted a second time attempt during his confirmation, but he is said to have been re-nominated, a development which has attracted the anger of the executives of the constituency.
The former DCE polled 21 votes out of 49 ballots cast by assembly members, representing 42.8% of the total votes, thus failing to meet the required number for confirmation.
The Executives of the constituency alleged that they have information to the effect that the DCE has been re-nominated for the second time, and they had full assurance from the Regional Coordinating Council (RCC) that he (Hon. Nti Berko) would not be coming back after he failed to attain 50% of the total votes.
They are, therefore, pointing accusing fingers at the Deputy Ashanti Regional Minister, Mr. Samuel Yaw Adusei and the Regional Executives of the party for nicodemously working to ensure the return of the DCE.
The Deputy Regional Minister has, however, denied the allegations describing them as untenable, stressing that he has no power to determine who gets nominated or dismissed as an MM/DCE.
The executives of the ruling party have however sworn heaven and earth to prevent the DCE from being confirmed for the second time since the last four years of his administration had brought nothing but misery and disappointment to the people of the district.
According to the NDC executives, it was not for nothing that the assembly members voted overwhelmingly against him during his confirmation.
They contend that though the name of Mr. Nti Berko was not initially part of the list of nominee DCEs that was released by the President; they were surprised to see his name few days later, a situation which they said, was masterminded by the Regional Administration and the executive of the party.
The Constituency Secretary, I. K. Nyame, who addressed a news conference on Tuesday, warned that the re-nomination of the DCE would be suicidal to the development of the district and the progress of the NDC in the constituency.
He alleged that some bigwigs within government and the party are working seriously around the clock to ensure that Hon. Berko’s name is retained, but ‘in an event of such development, we the constituency executives would advise ourselves.’
Meanwhile, the Deputy Regional Minister has denied allegations by the NDC executives that he assured them the DCE would not be re-nominated.
According to him, he had rather informed them (party executives) after the elections that the President, through an amended act, can re-nominate any nominee who failed to secure 50% percent of the vote.
‘The executives are under the impression that once a nominee fails to get 50% of the votes, he does not qualify for a second chance, but I only explained to them that it is not so because the law allows the President the prerogative to re-nominate such person,’ he explained
The Deputy Minister, therefore, said he was surprised by the claims of the executives that he has been masterminding the return of Hon. Nti Berko, stressing ‘I have nothing to do with appointment, neither can I dictate to the President, my duty is to make sure nominees get confirmed for government business to go on and not to decide who gets nominated or dismissed.
Leave a comment. 0 comment so far.