General News of Tuesday, 22 January 2013
-Armed Forces on High Alert
By A A Yayra
Information reaching The Al-Hajj suggest that there was an attempt last week by some yet to be identified persons to blow up a National Security Communication Center which controls major official information of the intelligence services and government of Ghana.
The attempted bomb attack on the intelligence-gathering hub also known as the GCHQ situated in a prime location in the nations’ capital was implicitly foiled by the anti-bomb squad of the Ghana Armed Forces (GAF).
A similar attempt, The Al-Hajj has gathered was early this year made on another national strategic installation which was also foiled. Confirming the latest particular incident to The Al-Hajj, a dependable source at National Security explained that its officials discovered that an Improvised Explosive Device (IED) was tied and planted under a transformer belonging to the Electricity Company of Ghana which shares wall with GCHQ, but added that “the anti-bomb disposal unit of the GAF was quickly alerted and they promptly deployed their personnel to the scene to defuse it.”
The source noted that the explosive device, which was later found out to be packs of dynamites failed to deliver on its mission because “the dew quenched the fire that was set at a long string that was tied to it”
According to the source, the GCHQ is always manned by security operatives but they are always inside the building, adding “though the building is located at an open space within the vicinity, hardly will someone know that it belongs to National Security.”
“I can’t tell the motive behind this attack, but as I said, if the attackers had succeeded in bombing the facility, they would have jammed all government and national security information/communication and only God knows what the perpetrators of this heinous crime would have done afterwards?” he bellowed The source was quick to add that “we have an idea of those behind the dastardly act and we are on their trail…very soon we will arrest and deal with them according to the laws of the country. Reports are that a similar attempt was employed by some unidentified persons earlier this year to blow up another major facility of National Security significance, which also serves as a very vital tool and gateway for the nation “the intelligence service acted swiftly to avert the incidence.” The fruitless attempt on the facility, which is said to have taken place just immediately after the swearing-in of President John Maham on 7th January this year, our source revealed, is no different from what took place at National Security Communication Center.
Meanwhile, some security experts who spoke to The Al-Hajj on the incidence argue that the current developments clearly cannot be divorced from the on-going political and legal tug-of-war between the ruling NDC and the main opposition NPP.
“This attack on the GCHQ is purely politically motivated…if you ask me”, one analyst stated.
Another noted that the attack has a direct bearing on the just-ended election, which the NPP is in court challenging.
“Why, we know how they planted series of bombs at vantage points and on innocent children to be thrown at Dr Kwame Nkrumah; we’ve not forgotten how they connived with the CIA to make the country ungovernable for the founder of this nation and later succeeded in staging a coup d’état in 1966 that overthrew him…all of us know their history. “They are professional bomb-throwers; I won’t be surprise if it turned out that they are behind the attack on the GCHQ,” the commentator averred. Reacting to the incidence, a source close to the National Security Coordinator, Lt. Col Larry Gbevlo discloses to The Al-Hajj that the security service has taken over the matter, adding that “investigation is ongoing to reveal the motive behind the attack and possibly apprehend those who masterminded it.” The source said, the deployment of the anti- bomb squad of the GAF to the scene last week was principally to defuse the Improvised Explosive Devices and also to embark on preliminary investigation into the incidence. “Everybody should go about their normal duty peacefully and without fear as the various security agencies have been resourced adequately to deal with any person or group of persons who tries to destabilize the country through extremist attacks,” the source advised
The NPP rejected results of the December 7 and 8 elections, claiming the elections were rigged in favor of President John Dramani Mahama and are currently challenging the results at the highest court of the land, the Supreme Court.
Leaders of the party insist there was ‘incontrovertible evidence’ of widespread irregularities which favored the president and greatly impacted the final outcome of the poll.
Prior to filing their petition at the Supreme Court, irate supporters of the party gathered at the ‘Obra Spot’ in Accra to vent out their grievances leading to fatal attacks of some journalists and perceived supporters of the National Democratic Congress (NDC).