Boko Haram Kills 40 In Borno
Members of the radical Islamist sect- Boko Haram at the weekend killed no fewer than 40 people in an attacked launched on three villages of Chuha A, Chuha B, and Korongilim in Chibok Local Government Area of Borno State.
Boko Haram Members
According to vanguard newspaper, the assailants after carting away foodstuff and livestock, destroyed houses, shops and vehicles.
A witness and a community youth leader, who gave his name as Yakubu Joshua, said the victims included teenagers while confirming the attack on Sunday.
“Some suspected Boko Haram terrorists invaded Chuha A, Chuha B and Korongilim villages of Chibok council of Borno State and killed over 40 persons” he said. “The terrorists injured many other villagers, burnt many houses and made away with our foodstuff. The attack, which commenced at 7a.m. yesterday lasted over five hours before military intervened. I and some other residents of Chibok had made several telephone calls to the military, unfortunately they (military) only started bombing the surrounding area of the attack after over 40 members of our community had been killed. The lifeless bodies of our people are still littered in the three villages as I speak, but our present fear is that many innocent villagers may be hit by the ongoing bombings by the military.”
Abba Aji Khalil, another resident, who is also the chairman of sector 5 of the local vigilante group in the state also confirmed the incident.
“My group is already in hot pursuit of the suspected terrorists. Our members in Chibok and neighbouring local government areas are already in hot pursuit of the suspected terrorists” he said.
The state Police Commissioner, Lawal Tanko, and his spokesman, Gideon Jubrin, could not be reached to get confimation on the incident, but a senior police officer, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorised to talk with journalist confirmed the attack.
Meanwhile, residents of Chibok community had been living perpetual fear following a letter that was allegedly sent by the sect detailing an impending attack.
It would be recalled that the sect members attacked Chibok on April 14, killed scores of people and abducted more than 200 female students from Government Girls Secondary School.
The girls, however, are yet to be rescued although international communities like U.K, France, Israel, Britain, US amongst others, whom volunteered to help the Nigerian government in bringing back the girls are yet to come up with a positive result.
The presidential fact-finding committee set up by Jonathan on the abduction of the girls, on Sunday, 22 June, 2014 submitted their report in Abuja, confirming that about 219 girls were still missing.
If you wish to know how this story develops, use
Know more about this news? Update the info!