The Presidential Commission investigating Ghana’s embarrassing outing at the 2014 World Cup in Brazil is likely to recall ex-Sports Minister Elvis Afriyie Ankrah.
Mr Ankrah gave his testimony to the Commission for three consecutive days and was duly discharged but conflicting information about whether or not three travel agencies were duly contracted to carry fans to Brazil means the minister may just return to clarify issues.
On Monday, CEO of Travel Matters Ivan Cudjoe told the Commissioners that there was no written contract signed with the Ministry of Sports for the company to carry fans to Brazil.
The Minister and the Brazil 2014 Project Coordinator Fred Darko were both reported to have told the Commission that three travel agencies- Travel Matters, Kenpong Travel and Tours and African Origin formed a consortium to fly over 600 fans to Brazil.
The consortium, led by Travel Matters was contracted to fly the fans to Brazil, the two men told the Commission.
But officials of the agencies had different stories to tell the Commission.
CEO of Travel Matters Ivan Cudjoe said there was no written contract binding them to carry Ghana fans to Brazil.
At best, it was only a verbal arrangement, he indicated.
George Amoako, Director of Finance at Kenpong travel and tours who appeared before the Commission also complained about unpaid monies due them for services rendered.
Worst still he does not know from whom to collect his money.
According to him, when they approached the ministry for their money they were told all monies due them had been paid to Travel Matters but any time they came to Travel Matters, Ivan Cudjoe also had a different story to tell. Sometimes he refused to pick their call, George Amoako complained.
The Commissioners were left shocked by the revelations by the agents, with the Chairman of the Commission Justice Senyo Dzamefe shouting “Jesus Christ!!!”at some point during the hearing.
The PRO of the Commission Thomas Boakye later told Joy FM’s Dzifa Bampoe on Top Story lots of information hitherto not known to the Commission had been revealed.
He said even though some persons have been discharged, “we might be recalling them to reappear before the Commission. But we have not gotten there yet.”
He said that will be done after perusing details of the testimonies provided by some of the officials who appeared before the Commission.
Mr Boakye also waded into the controversy about the request by some officials for in-camera hearing.
Some officials who have appeared before the Commission, including the ex-Sports Minister at some point requested for in-camera hearing.
Mr Boakye said each request is granted on its own merit and on some occasions even when the application is granted and testimony is heard in-camera, they have had to return to the public hearing to ask the witnesses same questions because they realised that answers to those questions given in-camera had no public morality or security considerations.
This article has 0 comment, leave your comment.