Military have reportedly released 144 out of the 486 travelers arrested more than a week ago in Abia State on suspicion of being linked with the dreaded Boko Haram sect, Premium Times report.
Photo: Boko Haram suspects arrested in Abia State. Credits: The Cable
The people conveyed in numerous buses were detained in Aba along the Enugu-Port Harcourt Expressway, as they were making their way from the country north.
Later, defence spokesperson Chris Olukolade claimed that among the suspects they had identified a notorious Boko Haram kingpin, who allegedly disclosed the important information. In several days journalists discovered that 86 more detainees were identified as suspected terrorists.
Yesterday, June 25, the Coordinator of the National Information Centre Mike Omeri said that 144 people had been freed by the military following the preliminary examination. The official also stated they would inform people and media about further development of the investigation.
It would be recalled that the arrest caused violent discussions among Nigerians with many doubting the operation validity and claiming that those detained were simply traders who had nothing to do with Boko Haram.
Shortly after the incident Kano authorities also made a move to ensure release of their residents captured in Aba. However Olukolade, without providing any extra details, said the screening was still in process and urged people to wait until the investigation was completed.
If you wish to know how this story develops, use
Know more about this news? Update the info!