Two fishermen were burnt to death in an explosion last Saturday at Aboadze, near the Volta River Authority’s sub-station on the Takoradi-Accra main road.
The two fishermen, DAILY GUIDE gathered, were about to convey premix fuel to the beach at Aboadze when the unfortunate incident happened at about 10am.
The two were burnt beyond recognition and their charred bodies were taken to the morgue at the Effia- Nkwanta Regional Hospital in Sekondi pending autopsy.
Residents of the area were said to have used several buckets of water to put out the fire before the arrival of personnel of the Ghana National Fire Service (GNFS).
An eyewitness identified the two as Agya Yaw, 20 and Agya Aboanda, a JHS 2 student in the area.
According to a source, the two fishermen were preparing to go fishing on that fateful Saturday morning when the incident happened.
The source indicated that the two fishermen entered a kitchen where they had kept their premix fuel to use a tube to draw some of the fuel into a container to be used to power their vessels.
Unfortunately, the tube could not draw the fuel so they decided to pour some of the fuel into a basin and in the process it exploded, burning the two beyond recognition.
An eye witness said that she gathered that the two had finished cooking rice on a coal-pot in the kitchen and that the coal-pot was far away from where the fuel was kept.
She, however, believed that there might have been some charcoal with fire in the coal-pot, which might have caused the explosion.
“A few minutes after the two fishermen entered the kitchen, the residents heard a loud blast and saw the kitchen go up in flames,” the eye-witness added.
She said the residents raised an alarm when they heard the unusual sound and saw the thick smoke coming out from the kitchen.
She pointed out that most of the inhabitants of the area rushed to the scene with buckets of water to put out the fire.
She indicated that the fire tenders that came later found it difficult to get access to the place.
A police source disclosed that the fire did not spread to any of the rooms and assured members of the family that the police would unravel the actual cause of the incident.
The police added that investigations were ongoing.
This article has 0 comment, leave your comment.