Fire Officers Cause Scare In Parliament
A fire scare hit Ghana’s Parliament on Wednesday afternoon causing the operations of the legislative arm of government to come to a complete halt for close to 30 minutes.
Spy News Agency gathered that the fire, was as a result of an electrical fault in one of their systems which caused some equipment in the offices on the first floor of the Chamber block to spark.
Personnel of the Fire Service whose attention were immediately drawn to the scene responded swiftly by driving all persons on the floor to rush out of the building.
Staff and journalists whose offices were on the floor were seen running helter-skelter between the hours 3:00 pm and 4:00pm as they rush to grab anything that they could lay their hands on in their offices. They then rush down and started moving their cars away.
At the time of the incidence, all Members of Parliament (MPs) present for the day’s business were locked up in the main chamber of the House holding a Meeting of the Committee of the Whole with the Electoral Commissioner, Mr. Afari Djan.
Officials of the Estate Department of the House later collaborated with Fire Service Personnel to check all electrical gadgets to avert any mishap.