Mothers of the abducted Chibok schoolgirls on Tuesday stormed General Muhammadu Shuwa Specialist Hospital in Maiduguri, Borno State following reports that the state government ordered more than 200 mattresses allegedly for the girls.
Monica Stover, mother of one of the girls abducted by Boko Haram in the remote village of Chibok, speaks during a news conference in Lagos on June 5. Photo: Reuters Read
A nurse at the hospital told Nigerian Tribune that the women heard a rumour that government was bringing the girls to the hospital for medication. “But no girl was brought from among those abducted in Chibok,” the nurse disclosed.
It was previously reported that most of the kidnapped girls are facing health challenges, while some are said to be pregnant.
The nurse said the women came to hospital at 9am and left after 3pm. She said she wouldn’t be surprised if the women came back the next day as they were “not convinced with whatever we told them”.
“When the women came, we told them that no girl was brought and they all burst into tears. … We took them round the wards to see for themselves,” said the nurse.
“If the girls are here, we could have allowed them to see their daughters. … We are hearing all kinds of stories but no result.”
More than 200 schoolgirls were abducted by the Islamist Boko Haram sect on April 15 from the dorms of the Government Girls Secondary School in Chibok. Some of the girls escaped, while the whereabouts of others remain unknown. Chibok community is living in fear as the Boko Haram terrorists reportedly threatened the residents with another attack.