Photo of Boko Haram fighters & Nigerian military
At least two suspected Boko Haram militants were killed by local security forces on Saturday, June 7, in far north Cameroon.
Reuters reports that the dreaded sect had attacked the Mayo Tsanaga Division in the Far North Region of the country but they were fought off by the local security forces.
According to the Cameroon government spokesperson, Issa Tchiroma Bakary the raid was carried out in the early hours of Saturday by 50 well-armed gunmen believed to be members of Boko Haram.
“Our defence and security forces fought back immediately. (They) killed two of the assailants, seized one of their vehicles and a Kalashnikov war weapon, forcing them to run back crossing the border into the Nigerian territory,” he said.
He however did not disclose if any government troops were killed or wounded during the raid.
This attack is the latest in a series of clashes between Cameroon security forces and the group.
On May 31, 40 members of the sect were killed shortly after two Italian priests and a Canadian nun were released in the town of Kousseri.
On Wednesday, June 4, 60 members of the sect were reportedly killed in Cameroon, barely 24 hours after the sect raided three villages of Danjara, Agapalwa and Antagara in the Gwoza Local Government Area of Borno State killing more than 300 people.
Last month, the head of counter-terrorism in Nigeria had said Cameroon was the weakest link in the regional fight against Boko Haram which kidnapped over 200 girls on April 14 from their school in Chibok, Borno state and has killed countless number of civilians and security forces in various parts of Nigeria.
Meanwhile, Cameroon authorities say they have deployed troops numbering about 3,000 to the far northern region of the country bordering Nigeria in the fight against Boko Haram insurgents.
If you wish to know how this story develops, use
Know more about this news? Update the info!