Army Officers Found Guilty Of Aiding Boko Haram
Following the alarm raised by the Nigerian Army and the Defence headquarters, more than 15 senior military officers including 10 generals have been tried and found guilty of giving information and ammunition to members of the dreaded Islamist sect- Boko Haram.
This was made known on Monday by a high ranking military source who pleaded anonymity because he was not obligated to disclose detailed information about the development.
It was gathered that the Army and the Defence headquarters had alleged that some of their officers and men were giving vital official information to Boko Haram members. The allegation, however, brought about the arrest and arraignment of some officers who were court-martial in the army divisions in the northern part of the country.
According to the source, some of the apprehended officers and men were being tried at their various division levels, adding that they still have a lot of hope until the final review of their judgment at the army headquarters in Abuja.
“There are a lot of arrests that have been made over some officers who were sabotaging the ongoing counter-insurgency operations. The suspects include about 10 generals and other ranks, not to talk of soldiers who have been found culpable of sabotaging our operations. They are facing trial before court-martials set up by their divisions; some have been found guilty, and some are still facing trial. Once the court martial rule, the recommendations are forwarded to the Army Headquarters or Defence Headquarters as the case may be,” the source said.
Other high ranking officer, who didn’t want his name in print, revealed that four senior officers have been found guilty for being disloyal and working for the terrorists.
“Four generals have been court-martialed for divulging high-class security information to the members of the sect. They were found guilty of leaking military strategies to the Boko Haram people. This was why many soldiers have been ambushed and killed by the Boko Haram,” the source said.
“They have been found guilty of also collaborating with some top politicians in the country to make the country ungovernable for selfish reasons. A lot of re-organisation is going on in the military. Many generals will go. Some will be court-martialed and some will be forcefully retired.
“The movement of our troops in the north-east have been leaked to the Boko Haram by many of our colleagues, but the Defence headquarters has realized that and is seriously considering redeployment of some senior officers out of the north-east” he added.
Meanwhile, the sources declined to disclose the identities of the generals who were involved in this treasonable crime, but it was, however, gathered that most of them were from a particular section of the country.
It would be recalled that the army on September 19, 2013, hinted that its 3 Division had set up a general martial court to try erring officers and soldiers. The former director, army public relations, Brigadier General Ibrahim Attahiru, who made the announcement then, noted that the new court would instill discipline and professionalism in its personnel as ordered by the Army Headquarters.
The court which is under General Commanding Officer Ebiobowei Awala was set up on April 22 at Rhino Officers Mess, Maxwell Khobe Cantonment, Jos. The court has so far tried nine soldiers for offences like murder and manslaughter. It couldn’t not be ascertained if it was the same court that court –martialed the erring generals as efforts to get confirmation from the Defence Headquarters’ spokesperson, Major General Chris Olukolade, proved abortive.
Another serving general in the DHQ, who also requested anonymity said: “A lot is happening. Those suspected are being tried, and this is why it is difficult to confirm or deny the story. But whenever the final verdicts are taken on these trials, the press would be briefed by the appropriate officers.”
If you wish to know how this story develops, use
Know more about this news? Update the info!