World Cup trivia: Six things you need to know today (27th May)
1. Do you know why Uruguay were chosen to host the maiden World Cup?
Following a remarkable proposal by the Executive Committee, the FIFA Congress in Amsterdam on 28 May 1928 decided to stage a world championship organised by FIFA. Now, the organising country had to be chosen. Hungary, Italy, the Netherlands, Spain and Sweden submitted their candidatures. Right from the start, Uruguay was the favourite and not simply for its Olympic gold medal wins in 1924 and 1928 – the country was celebrating its 100th anniversary of independence in 1930 at great expense. Although they gained their independence in 1828 but the grand celebration came off in their 1930.
Moreover, its national association was willing to cover all the costs, including the travel and accommodation of the participating teams. Any possible profit would be shared, while Uruguay would take on the deficit. These arguments were decisive. The FIFA Congress in Barcelona in 1929 assigned Uruguay as first host country of the FIFA World Cup. The other candidates had withdrawn.
2. Do you know that all the four European countries who participated in the maiden FIFA World Cup in Uruguay were ferried in the same ship with the then FIFA President Rimet Jules. France, Belgium, Romania and Yugoslavia – joined him on the Conte Verde liner bound for Buenos Aires.
3. The first player ever to score a goal in the FIFA World was Laurent Lucien of France in the Europeans four one victory over Mexico in the opening game.
4. Uruguay became the first nation to win the FIFA World Cup and they did it on home soil by beating their South American rivals Argentina in Montevideo the capital.
5. Guilermo Stabile of Argentina scored 8 goals to win the top scorer in the first ever World Cup in 1930
6. Peruvian player PlÃ¡cido Galindo was the first player in World Cup history who was sent off (against Romania)
For more sports news visit allSports.com.gh
This article has 0 comment, leave your comment.