Fifteen years down the lane, the Vodafone Ghana Music Awards is by far Ghana’s biggest music awards festival.
From performances that make people dance to winning probabilities, here are ten things to look out for in this year’s edition of the VGMA happening on Saturday May 3, 2014.
1. This is the fifteenth year of the awards and no female artiste has ever won the overall best Artiste of the year.
2. No gospel artiste has ever won the Overall Best Artiste of the year. If Sonnie Badu wins it this time, he would have achieved what previous promising contenders like Lenny Akpadie and Cwesi Oteng failed to do.
3. Last year, veterans Amandzeba Nat Brew, VIP and Akatakyie stole the show with back to back hits from the past. If showgoers could select one performer who gave them their money’s worth, they will pick Kontihene. Nana Appiah Kontihene just kept releasing hits, one after the other from Asesa to Akatesia to Esi whiles the crowd sang and danced themselves out of control. This year, who is going to get the crowd dancing? A hot star or a cool veteran?
4. One of the hottest highlife singers of the early 2000s is now a pastor. But before Ofori Amponsah dropped his mic and picked up his bible, he set a new record by hauling seven (7) awards in one edition of the GMAs in 2006. This year, if Sarkodie wins all his eight (8) nominations, excluding an appearance on Joey B’s Tonga, he’ll break Ofori Amponsah’s record.
5. Over the last five years, Okyeame Kwame has received nine (9) awards – picking four of them in 2013, three in 2009 and two in 2012. Sarkodie follows with eight (8) awards, sweeping five of them in 2010 and three (3) in 2013. In that same period, Tema based R2bees have bagged five(5) awards, four(4) of which came only last year and the other in 2011. Kwabena Kwabena and Efya also have four(4) each to their name. Kwabena Kwabena won two in 2011 and one each in 2009 and 2012 whilst Efya picked two of them in 2013 and one each in 2011 and 2012.
6. Shatta Wale is the only artiste who appears in three (3) different songs nominated in the same category -Reggae / Dancehall song of the year.
If Shatta Wale wins an award, he’ll follow a tradition of artistes who have openly criticised the awards one year and returned to win it the next year. Blakk Rasta and Kwaw Kesse are some of the recent acts to do the same.
7. MzVee has been selected as this year’s unsung act. Many people will see the former D3 member in action for the first time if she performs on the night.
8. Nima based VIP, now called VVIP, are the first and only group to win the overall Artiste of the Year twice. Kojo Antwi was actually the first to do a double, and after VIP, Sarkodie is the only other artiste to have won the biggest award twice. VIP got their second award in 2011 after first winning it in 2004 with hit song ‘Ahomka wom’.
9. With three ladies and three gentlemen, Gospel Song of the Year has more female nominees than any other category. The simple probability that a female performer will win this category is 1 out of 2. The probability that a female will win the Artiste of the year is zero (there are no female nominees).
10. The Vodafone song of the year is chosen entirely by the public using mobile phones. Six (6) of the ten nominated songs are about Love, romance, an attractive girl or sex.
Follow @newaccra on twitter for more quality entertainment
About the author
Fatima Ibrahim has been a keen follower and analyst of contemporary African music and movies for years. When she is not checking out the latest in entertainment and current affairs, she spends her time working on a career as a professional telecoms engineer.
Newaccra Magazine is a positive lifestyle magazine for the young and driven. Our goal is to inspire ambitious young people to achieve their big dreams. We do this by providing high quality content on personal development, success lessons, positive mindsets, healthy lifestyles and current sports and entertainment. Follow us on Twitter @newaccra or Facebook.com/newaccra
www.newaccra.blogspot.com (kindly make a clickable link to “http://www.newaccra.blogspot.com”)
This article has 0 comment, leave your comment.