The Executive Director of the Tema Development Corporation (TDC), Joe Abbey, yesterday refuted allegations at a special sitting of the Parliamentary Select Committee on Works and Housing that the Adjei Kojo land was being acquired for lease to some Chinese for the construction of a mall.
“I don’t know where this allegation is coming from but it is completely false,” he said.
Mr. Abbey said the land was being acquired for the construction of terrace houses and other social projects for renting.
He indicated that they were working in partnership with some Chinese investors who were preparing to introduce BLL technology for the construction of the houses.
“We have given some portion of the land to them to exhibit that technology for its adoption,” he said.
He said the project had already been approved by the Ministry of Water Resources, Works and Housing.
He pointed out that the TDC had already invested GH¢25 million in the construction of access roads, drainage and clearing of the sites.
According to the TDC Executive Director, the outfit was prepared to compensate any individual who had valid and genuine documents covering his building.
He denied the allegation that 500 house were demolished, adding, “We demolished 65 ‘illegal’ buildings.”
The Committee members were scheduled to have visited the demolishing site on Tuesday to have a first-hand knowledge on the demolishing exercise and also do their proper checks as to know how many buildings were pulled down but because of security advice, they could not carry out that duty.
While some Committee members are of the opinion that the TDC had a legal backing for the demolition, others thought the decision was not carefully thought of.