Man sets lover ablaze, ends up burning to death
A tie-and- dye dealer, identified only as Bismark, who allegedly attempted to kill his lover by setting her ablaze ended up burning to death.
Bismark, said to be in his 40s, was consumed by the fire he set onto his lover, Dora Dunyo, 34.
He was said to have poured petrol on Ms Dunyo while she was asleep in their wooden structure in a house under construction near the Trasacco Valley Estate.
Some of the fuel however poured on Bismark’s clothes.
Ms Dunyo is currently on admission at the Burns Centre of the Korle Bu Teaching Hospital where she had been referred by authorities of the Legon Hospital.
A search party later found Bismark unconscious on a manhole in an uncompleted building.
He was pronounced dead on arrival at the Legon Hospital.
According to Ms Dunyo’s brother, Mr Kwame Zownu, his sister had been living with Bismark for about a years and there had been occasional misunderstandings between the two.
At about 1 am on Thursday February 28, 2013, Bismark allegedly entered their room and began pouring petrol on his sleeping girlfriend as well as items in the room. In the process, Zownu recounted, Dora got up and ran out of the room shouting for help.
“My sister then ran to the house of a pastor, who stood between the two, but Bismark, bent on executing his plan, lit a match and threw it at my sister (who was already smeared with the petrol), setting her ablaze as a result,” he said.
Mr Zownu said but for the timely intervention of the pastor who poured water on Ms Dunyo, the situation would have been different.
Not satisfied, Zownu said Bismark went back to the kiosk where Dora had been sleeping and set it on fire.
But while the kiosk was burning, parts of Bismark’s dress which was also smeared with petrol caught fire and he burnt to death.
Pastor Ernest Deku who rescued Dora corroborated the story.
The Adentan District Police Commander, DSP Stephen Kofi Ahiatafu, confirmed the story to the Daily Graphic but indicated that investigations were still ongoing.
The body of Bismark has been deposited at the Police Hospital morgue awaiting autopsy.
Meanwhile, Mr Zownu has appealed to philanthropists to come to the aid of her sister.
“I am a by-day carpenter and I don’t have money to buy all they are asking for. Ms Dunyo is my only sister and I am appealing to people to come and help me.
“She had an NHIS card but that, together with her other belongings, got burnt in the kiosk,” he said.