Posted On Saturday, 24th November 2012
By Ameenu Shardow
The budget figures proposed for Ghana’s 2013 Nations Cup campaign is likely to see a significant reduction following the decision of players to lower their demands.
This understanding, according to Ghana FA boss Kwasi Nyantakyi, was reached after Ghana’s 1-0 win against Cape Verde in an international friendly match played last week in Portugal.
The initial proposed budget had a cash reward of $15,000 per win at the group stage of the tournament which kicks off early next year in South Africa.
This proposal has however been met with stiff opposition from the general public who believe the figure is simply exorbitant and unsustainable.
As a result, the Black Stars players are said to have conceded to renegotiate the figures after being made aware of the serious uproar back home after the friendly win in Portugal.
“I can say we are almost through with negotiations on the budget proposal to the Sports Ministry. The figures we sent were based on negotiations with the players but when we recently went for a friendly in Portugal, we had further negotiations and it is possible there will be a reduction in their demands,” GFA boss Nyantakyi told Kumasi-based Angel FM.
“The players are very aware of the reactions back home regarding their demands and they are also ready to come down small so when we meet to review the budget, by all means it will be reduced.”
The close to $8m reported budget is to see further reduction following the decision to scrap the planned allotment of $70,000 for media relations.
“I’ve told the Minister of Sports to scrap the media relations provision ($70,000) we made because the people (journalists) who we have allocated this for, have kicked against the money,” Nyantakyi adds.
“They say they don’t want it. We thought we were extending a helping hand due to cases we witnessed at certain tournaments where you would see journalists surrounding top officials requesting for money to support themselves.”