Akufo-Addo Breaks Silence Today

Akufo-Addo Breaks Silence Today

SHARE

Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo, the 2012 presidential candidate of the New Patriotic Party (NPP), breaks his silence on his future role in Ghanaian and NPP politics in Accra today.

Immediately after the election petition had been determined by the Supreme Court, Nana Akufo-Addo declared his intention to take some rest and ponder over his political future.

After six months of stay in the United Kingdom, he returned in March 5, this year to assure NPP faithful that he would announce today whether he would contest the flagbearership of the party or not for the 2016 presidential election.

Already, some party members are championing his cause, saying that if he does not contest the flagbearership, they will not vote for the party during the 2016 general election.

However, others consider him as an “old horse who must give way to a new blood”.

It would be recalled that Nana Akufo-Addo had consistently told the various regional executives of the party that he needed to confer with the leaders, elders and stakeholders of the party prior to coming out to declare his future political intention.

Addressing the Ashanti regional executive and supporters of the party in Kumasi recently, Nana Akufo-Addo said: “I will break my silence on whether I will contest the flagbearer position of the party or not on March 20, 2014 in Accra.”

He, however, insisted that as custom demanded, he was still briefing elders of the party and some senior persons in society about his trip abroad, and added that ”my decision will be in the interest of the NPP in particular and Ghanaians in general”.

He said he had already met former President J.A. Kufuor and briefed him about his intentions and sojourn to UK and met the Asantehene, Otumfuo Osei Tutu II. He said he had the blessings of the Otumfuo.

NO COMMENTS

LEAVE A REPLY


*